Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were no horns on the car I have when I bought it
so I picked up a set but I don't have a clue as to which holes these mount to.
Maybe the brackets are wrong. The first connector on the wiring looks too short.
to work also. The fastener size for the bracket looks to be 5/18-18
horn.JPG horn2.JPG

·
Registered
63 convertable
652 Posts
left of the radiator above the voltage regulator. i think the horn relay mounts close to the rad.

·
Registered
262 Posts
On my 63 ½ the horns are mounted through the bracket that connects the radiator core support to the inner fender on the driver's side. The horns are inside the engine bay and the mount bolts go pretty much straight down. The two horns are nestled together in that front driver's side corner. I was going to send you a drawing from my 1963 Ford Electrical Assembly Manual, but I realized that the drawing and the mounting of the horns under my hood are different. I suspect that there may be more than one way the horns are mounted depending on what other equipment may also be mounted down there, power steering and air conditioning, for example. That's just a guess on my part, I could be totally wrong. Hope this wasn't too confusing.

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
99 Posts
My horns are not the factory horns, and each one is mounted on either side of the radiator. The relay is on the driver's side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for the replies...I think the person who reassembled the car may not have known
where they go either. I was wondering if the relay should have been mounted in the two holes you can see
that are closer to the radiator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a copy of the electrical assembly manual and I moved the relay to the correct location but
I'm not sure if these are the right horns or not. There is no way I could install them like shown and I
see them installed on restored car pics with the smooth sides facing outwards on both. The LO horn
only has two mounting studs so it can only be mounted one way...on the fender side. The HI could only be
mounted with the smooth side facing the same way even though it has four studs. Connecting the short
terminal would be impossible no matter what configuration.
Maybe these were reassembled incorrectly for the application.
I may have to mount the LO horn and use that one until I can sort this out.
....or use the single digit salute if need be!
DSC00043.JPG
DSC00039.JPG
DSC00040.JPG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You! It looks like the HI horn might work but the terminal is not on the right side.
The Lo one will not work with only two mounting studs.
NOT for a 63!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think you should have what you need, it's just a bit of a puzzle. I hope to include three more pix on top of what extech has provided, which highlights how the wiring lines up. Hope this is helpful. Having said that, the website just told me it will not allow my pictures to post. I'll have to see if I can figureout what it takes to make it happy. Sorry 'bout that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, I was able to send one. The other two fell victim to operator error. Have new phone/camera and don't fully know how to operate it. Hopefully, I'll get better.
IMG_0038.jpeg

·
Registered
101 Posts
You have a future in real estate staging. What nice and shiny horns place atop an electrical diagram. We are fucking doomed.

I got a copy of the electrical assembly manual and I moved the relay to the correct location but
I'm not sure if these are the right horns or not. There is no way I could install them like shown and I
see them installed on restored car pics with the smooth sides facing outwards on both. The LO horn
only has two mounting studs so it can only be mounted one way...on the fender side. The HI could only be
mounted with the smooth side facing the same way even though it has four studs. Connecting the short
terminal would be impossible no matter what configuration.
Maybe these were reassembled incorrectly for the application.
I may have to mount the LO horn and use that one until I can sort this out.
....or use the single digit salute if need be!
View attachment 165961 View attachment 165957 View attachment 165958
View attachment 165961 View attachment 165957 View attachment 165958
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't know. Looks like they're keeping the page from flipping. I'm guilty, too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nope. Common around here. Pages and pages of "look at me" and my shiny little part. Pathetic. What the **** happened to the American Man. If folks spent as much time turning wrenches as they did staging fucking photos, they might actually accomplish something. Painted black horns atop an electric diagram? Seriously? Yeah right, "the wind required me to place the horns on my book". Yep, of course.

I don't know. Looks like they're keeping the page from flipping. I'm guilty, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts