Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a simple need, but it seems hard to find. I want to finally replace my very loud, screaming flex fan with an electric fan. Like most guys, I have a very limited space between the nose of the top pulley and the radiator. To make room for the electric fan, and since it will replace the pulley/belt driven fan, I need to go to a single groove pulley.

I went to Pep Boys and asked for a pulley for the engine that is a single groove to replace the stock double groove pulley I have, and he looked at me like I was the Yeti. I have a '76 302 (Bicentennial Block) and just need a single groove pulley to replace the existing double groove one. Nothing exotic. What should I ask for? Where should I look for it?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I get a single groove three hole pulley, enlarge the hole that registers in the balancer, and finally re-drill the other three needed holes that will allow it to bolt to a four hole balancer. The bolt circles between the three and four hole pulleys are the same. You can buy new three hole single groove pulleys from Mustang parts vendors for about $50.00.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
I got a three hole pulley from Big B Auto in Murrieta CA. The part number in their catalog is #BBA-8971. It ended up costing around $40 shipped to my door. I'm sure you could make it work like F15 said.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cain on 9/11/06 12:58pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I got one for my Falcon at the yank & pull yard for $3 bucks and die grinded the two outer pulley slots to make it a single....

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I'm confused. You need more room in front of the water pump right?. I don't see how removing a groove will change that. The nose of the water pump will still be the same. Ford Racing makes a short water pump that is about 1 1/2" shorter than stock but requires special pulleys.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I don't want to go out to the car port, pull the tarp off and check under the hood. I mean the pulley on the top, that spins the fan in a stock configuration. Not the one connected to the crank, not the one that operates the alternator. The top one.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
The pulley at the top center with the fan on it is the water pump pulley. If you need more room you need to either move the engine back, move the radiator forward, or put on a shorter water pump.

·
Registered
729 Posts
On 2006-09-10 21:52, FALCONAROUND wrote:
I got one for my Falcon at the yank & pull yard for $3 bucks and die grinded the two outer pulley slots to make it a single....
I did the same except I used a lathe to clip the other two pullys off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts