Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im putting Ford based EFI on my 65 Comet, and Im about done except that Im not sure where to put the ECM. Ive done some looking online and at my car and there doesnt seem to be a good open spot of real estate. Im using an extra long Painless harness and I think there are some very minor differences from a Ford harness, for whatever thats worth. I think what Ill do is drill a hole in the firewall for the harness about in the car centerline, just above the base of the intake, but again, the harness is long enough that I could put the computer under the back seat if I wanted. I just cant seem to see a good spot to mount the computer. So where have you Falcon/Comet/Fairlane/Mustang/Maverick guys mounted your ECM? Pictures please!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
No room over the heater box? Or, above the radio? Upper kick panel? Wherever you put it, it's often easier to mount if you epoxy some super magnets to it and stick it in place with those. Under the dash (over the glove box) or on the firewall just right of center is usually open enough. Under the seat in a pinch. I can't say on your specific model though. Do you have AC?

David

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think over the heater box is where Im going to put it. I think for some reason last year i was really hesitant to drill/mount anything to the cowl for fear of leaks, or to destroy the sound deadener thats still on the firewall. Ill just mount the computer to the cowl and use a dab of sealer on the screws. Wouldnt strong magnets mess with the computer being that close? Oh, and no A/C.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Wouldnt strong magnets mess with the computer being that close?
No problem. There are no hard drives or other magnetic media in those. If it bugs you, use peel 'n stick Velcro or tie wrap anchors. If using Velcro, don't use too much, as it is surprisingly difficult to remove the ECM. With two solid non-flexible objects, you can't just "peel" it off.

David

Stick-on zip-tie anchors and ties long enough to go around the ECM:

Good 'ol Velcro:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts