Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the kinda of guy who tends to leave well enough alone, well I havent checked my timing untill today and it was at 22*, this is probably to high so I set it back to 16*, this helped with my high idle. where do you guys run yours at.

Initial and total

I noticed when I was timing mine today the higher I reved the more total I got, should it stop at a certain point.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I run somewhere between 16/36 and 20/40. It will vary depending on whether I'm running pump gas or racing gas and somewhat how the weather is doing. I want all my timing in by 3500.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think mine is at 14 and 35 with light springs and manifold vacuum advance.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys, I got her settled in at 15 initial with 36 total, and it is running good, I richened my idel up a bit and stuffed some 76 jets in the front, my stumble went away, and acceleration seems to be better, and it has a nice kinda lopey idel now, mainly because the extra fuel brougth it down, but reduceing the timeing also dropped the idel, now I have a little adjustability.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Say Walt,
Is that 14deg. w/o manifold vacuum advance? Mine is 26deg. with manifold vacuum @ idle, 6 deg. initial. When I set my initial @ 10+, I get 36+ deg w/ manifold vacuum @ idle. When you say "manifold vacuum" do you mean it's (vacuum) comming off the manifold and not the carb.? My carb has 0 vacuum @ idle on both sides. Trying to cure a sorry Idle and low rpm stumble. Anything I can do to the Carter AFB? I read something about drillin out idle ports, and drillin a hole in the throttle plates. I'm a little leary about these things.

95 302HO w/625 Carter AFB, light springs in dist. No EGR, Air pump to heads and cat. full time.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
For good throttle response, I like to use a lot of initial... but to do this, the distributer advance has to be limited, or the total timing goes through the roof. Thea easiest way to do this is with a MSD Billet distributer. These allow the user to EASILY adjust total distributer advance (interchangable bushings), as well as advance rate (springs). Both can be easily adjusted without pulling the unit out of the car.

I run 36 degrees total.

Good Luck!

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 4/20/02 11:36pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have about 25* w/ maniflod vac. Get a book for the carter by Dave Emanual. get a strip kit and a set of the various metering rod springs. They really are easy to tune, ya just gotta mess with them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Walt,
Who sells this "carter" book? I have a strip kit and tuned it for the 3:08 rear, Texas inspection and freeways etc. Now that I have a 3:55 gear, and I'm livin (a whole lot better) in Alabama, (no inspections) I'm kinda startin all over.

Thanks,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts