Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Team

just starting work on my 64 fastback. I live in New Zealand so finding parts over here is ridiculously hard and expensive. The previous owner (in the US) has cut the front springs so low the wheels cant even turn without hitting the guards. I need information on where to buy front Springs from in the States. I doubt they will ship to me internationally so I might have to send them to a buddy of mine in the States and then forward to me from there. I was thinking 1 inch lower than standard. Do you think that will look OK stance wise?

Appreciate any leads

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips, I have emailed both companies to see what they will do. Anyone got pics of there cars lowered? i am not sure if I should go 1 inch or two inch drop? It's a very long way to send the parts to find they look weird. I dont like cars riding too high, but we have to have our cars at least 4 inches off the ground to be legal.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Hi Team

just starting work on my 64 fastback. I live in New Zealand so finding parts over here is ridiculously hard and expensive. The previous owner (in the US) has cut the front springs so low the wheels cant even turn without hitting the guards. I need information on where to buy front Springs from in the States. I doubt they will ship to me internationally so I might have to send them to a buddy of mine in the States and then forward to me from there. I was thinking 1 inch lower than standard. Do you think that will look OK stance wise?

Appreciate any leads
You can also try Eaton Spring in Detroit, Michigan USA

Eaton Detroit Spring Home

Frank

·
Registered
751 Posts
I kept the old unmolested original coils off my '64 Gal that I replaced this spring (old school here, lol). I can ship via post office to NZ or your buddy in the states, no prob.

If interested, holler. Norm

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Norm

(why does that remind me of a TV show?)

Just Suspension is being pretty helpful so far. I think I will go for the conservative 1 inch drop, even though I would like 2 inch. I will holler you though if I end up going original ride height. Someone in NZ told me I need to replace the insulators at the top of the spring at the same time. Is this true?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Go to your local spring shop. They can make you a custom set at exactly the the height you want and at a compression hardness that will work for you.
It will probably be cheaper than than importing something heavy and baulky like springs.
I had mine made localy here for about $250 AU.

Whereabouts are you in NZ? Auckland?

·
Registered
751 Posts
No worries here battleship, I was merely offering up my used ones just in case you want/need some coil cutting practice, ....you then wouldn't be carving up nice new ones, lol.

In fact, mine were just worn a "tick" and can send before and after pics to show you the two ride-heights. Hence.... mine (or someone else's) used ones might work as-is?

Of course if you find/contact a company that will make you custom lowered coils, hey, all the better.

Yes, back in the 80s and 90s my name usually drew a HUGE response in the bars and taverns, haha.

Thanks for the note back!

cheers (teehee) Norm in Minnesota

·
Registered
751 Posts
. Someone in NZ told me I need to replace the insulators at the top of the spring at the same time. Is this true?
Oops, I forgot to reply to this.....

In my case I was able to reuse my old insulators and all is good thus far. My Gal has low miles and came from a pretty good past environment (rubber-lasting wise) -your "mileage" may vary though, lol.

cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts