Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a flywheel for my 289 I'm putting together. I plan to put a T5 tranny behind it, so I believe I need a 157 tooth with the 28oz balance. I want something that will be good for 7000 rpm, about 350-400hp. I'm not looking for a fancy aluminum one or anything, just something I can put more trust in than what I'd find at the scrapyard.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, the engine is a '65 289, am I correct in assuming it uses the 28oz imbalance flywheel and balancer? I've seen a few parts that say they are for '68 and up, which doesn't cover '65. What changed in '68, other than going to a 302 stroke?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 28oz, 157 tooth flywheel is correct for your app. The only cheap flywheel will be a stock one, but I would not want one next to my foot at 7000 rpm. If you want to race, spend the money and do it right.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing at Summit or Jegs is a Hays unit that runs $280. I was hoping to find something in the sub-$200 range, it seems like I should be able to find something decent for that much, but I haven't found anything yet. There's a business selling lots of 289/302 stuff on Ebay, I believe they are CAT parts. They have an aluminum flywheel for ~$280, which I thought was higher than I needed to spend, but it looks like I'll be spending in that neighborhood anyways. Is there any disadvantage to an aluminum one?

edit: Here is a link to what I'm talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1833629820&r=0&t=0

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 6/5/02 2:04am ]</font>

·
Registered
508 Posts
You could get a ford Racing unit from PAW for something around $220. Don't think it's SFI approved though. It's what I'm running in my car.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was searching Summit's web site and I found both the Ford Motorsport one for about $220 and also a Center Force one for $250. Kinda looks like I'm gonna have to spend some dough to get a good one. I plan on getting a Center Force clutch, should I get the Center Force flywheel too? Or, I could still get the aluminum one off Ebay for about the same price. Is there any reason why I should avoid that one?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 6/5/02 2:49pm ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts