Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may need a new gas tank, because it often smells fuel in the car. I dont see any visible holes, but the black asphalt pad on the upper surface has falled apart, that may be a sign that it has been fuel there. All fuel lines, carb and fuel pump have been checked. The picture which is added is a tank from Rockauto, partnumber F57A. Is Dearborn, Dennis Carpenter or maybe MACs better alternatives? Or maybe a tank sealer would work?

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Might just drop the tank and be sure there is damage before buying a new tank. There's nothing wrong with getting a new tank if you want but if it's because you 'think' there is a leak you should be sure first. Are you smelling it while outside the car? Mine smells gassy after driving and sometimes days later i'll catch a whiff of fuel but it's just the carb and not any leaks. Have you checked the little short hose from the tank to hard line? Or just replace, it's only like 4 inches long or so.

I thought crites sold them also but they changed their site and i don't see them now. But rock auto appears to have the best price so far in my searching. Other than ebay which i don't know if they ship overseas or not.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The tank is already removed from the car. I dont see any holes on the upper surface either.It could be invisible small pinholes. Sometimes when I pass the rear part of the car outside, I can feel a strong smell of fuel for a short moment. Inside the car the smell is now and then, and its weak. The short rubber hose between the tank and the hard line was also removed and it looked ok

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
You got it off so go ahead and replace it with a new one.
You know the saying: pay me now or pay me later.

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Doesn't hurt to replace it if you have the funds to do it then you don't have to wonder about that part for gas smell. I only smell mine from the back when it's hot out sometimes. The front most often. You can clean the old tank out so there isn't fumes and shine a flash light in it in the dark and see if you spot any light shining through holes. If it looks good you might find someone to sell it to later on. I kinda wonder if it is the tank at all and would pressure check it somehow or put something in it and set it upside down to see if it leaks from all angles. It might not be the tank but a pin hole in the hard line somewhere or the spout is leaking around the base or something of that nature if it all looks pretty good other than you think you have a leak before buying a new tank. But that's just my opinion. I'd want to be sure first.
All it takes is a tiny bit of seepage to smell so a slightly loose hose clamp can do that. You would of seen moisture from fuel on the little short hose when you removed it if it were that. Won't have to be a dripping leak always.

·
Registered
152 Posts
According to Rockauto's page, the tank shipped to my house is about fifty bucks cheaper than Obsolete Ford which is just up the street with no shipping but with sales tax.

So for me Rockauto's a no brainer. That is if the tank fits like OE and not some Chinese bull****.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it doesnt have to be a big leak to smell it. Im gonna replace the fuel tank sending unit anyway, then its possible to place a strong ledlight inside the tank and look outside in the dark. The Spectra premium tanks are made in Canada, so the quality may be good

·
Registered
751 Posts
This is the ebay seller known as "Tomsclassic" website : Auto City Classic - 1-800-828-2212 - Home

They offer worldwide shipping and their tank is one of the less expensive offerings out there. Does that mean it is made off-shore? Probably ....but you can e-mail and ask him. His eBay feedback suggests his parts must be fairly decent. My tank is not leaking, but verry beat up, and I'll likely go there for a new one.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I bought the rockauto tank and am extremely happy with the quality. The only problem I had is the gasket needed for the fuel sending unit is different than what ford originally used. I had a hard time finding one. 61Sunliner, on this forum, had a gasket that looked like it would work and he gave it to me. It worked perfectly. So you might have a hard time finding a gasket. Since my car is a 62, the filler neck wasn't bent enough. I had to cut a 2 inch section out of the middle of the neck and put in a slightly curved rubber gas tank tube made by Gates. Also, my original tank was vented and this one isn't, so I had to get a vented cap. I found that the Stant 10640 cap is the correct cap for the tank.

Here are links to my posts on the topic:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/501151-64-gas-tank-rockauto.html

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/499008-1962-fuel-tank.html

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great with useful info. Just got this disc brak kit from Tomsclassic: 57 58 59 60 FORD FULLSIZE FRONT DISC BRAKE CONVERSION 57 58 59 60 Ford Fullsize Front Disc Brake Conversion | eBay. The description of the kit here in this forum has been good, so their tank may also have ok quality. In a week or two my old tank will be tested with a ledlight to see if its "porous"or not. If it is, Tomsclassics or Rockautos tank is actual

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
I've heard Tom's mentioned many times here so either would be good. Good luck with the testing. Hopefully it's something besides the tank, less expensive that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts