Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Gen went out on my 64, so I ordered a rebuild kit to fix it and during disassembly the field wire inside the case broke off and so did the porcelin piece to isolate it.
So its junk. My problem is that none of the local parts stores have a generator, nor can they get one.
I'd be happy staying under $100 for this fix, so Alt. conv. is out of the question.
Where can I find a Gen for this thing?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Take it to an electrical shop that does alt. starters, and generators. Don't know how far you live from a large city but there should be one close. Tractor or truck repair?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To 63ford406, yea I have a store near by that used to say we repair starters, alternators, and generators.
Now it says, we repair heavy duty starters and alternators.
So I'm going to call them in the morning and see if service is still available.

galax-z, I too will call napa ( I called advanced, car quest, autozone, earlier) and see if they have any way of getting one.

Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
293 Posts
dennis carpenter lists a new one for 250.00. got mine for my 63 f250 from arnold motor supply a year ago but forget what it cost. i think it was the same generator ford used on tractors and a lot of other things back then. i've seen rebuilt on ebay also.
doubt you can stay under $100.00 for a new/rebuilt unit though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine went out on my 63 Galaxie cost right around 200 to rebuild with all new insides a place called C&G early ford parts have rebuilt ones and parts to i found after i had mine rebuilt hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
R - I have a brand new rebuilt Geny off a 63 Fairlane, still has the factory sticker on it.
are the Galaaxie/Fairlane the same? not sure
If it will work for you I would gladly ship to you, for a reasonable fee.
It worked fine, but had it rebuilt just to be sure, shop took so long to rebuild it I went to an alternator so I could cruise, so its just gathering dust in the garage

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks roger for willing to help me. I have however researched more in the last few days and have bought an alt. bracket. Now just waiting on alternator from friend and I will have converted for around $40.
This route seems like the best in the long run.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts