Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mach 1 has a 9inch rear with most likely 28 spline axles. Its an open rear and it really sucks when I take it to the strip and have that right rear tire spinning like stupid and the other tire doing nothing. The car of course will be street driven 90% of the time and I will take it to the strip a weekend or two a month to embarass myself. I read the article on FM about 9 inch rears but didn't quite see the information I was looking for (it was 2AM so I could have missed it). Is there a locking rear that I might be able to scavenge from the boneyard? Is there a few years I should be looking for, or is this a futile attempt to find one and I should just get a new one?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your best bet would be to buy something new.
Junkyard finds for traction aiding devices are going to be very slim to none, and the best you are probably going to end up with is some used up trac-loc (posi). And used rear end parts, especially something like a locker/trac-loc is going to have been "used".
For 90% street driven a Powertrax Lockright would work very nice for the price (Summit has them for $260). Used Lockers can be found on line but they are usually 31 spline. New ones cost upwards of $450.
I have researched the Powertrax Lockright and it seems that most everyone is very happy with them on-road and off...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you happy with the rear gears you have? If not, you can buy an already assembled drop-in carrier (sometimes called a third member) with traction lock already in it.
Pretty easy to install. Take the wheels off, tap the rear drums and pull them, unbolt the axle shafts and slide them out, and then unhook the carrier's 10 nuts from the pumpkin, detach the yoke from the driveshaft and pry it out. Put the other one in, put everything back together, and fill it and you are done. Takes a good Saturday or less. I needed a helper because the carrier is heavy and the angle is awkward for one person. No ripping the rear end apart to swap gears or add traction devices, just swap the third member out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67VertMustang on 11/16/06 7:51pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 3.25's right now and they are pretty good for the highway. I'll look into both options, thanks.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Ford is now selling the traction lok again. You can find a new one on Ebay for $275. Personally I run the factory trac-loc and put clutches in it when it needs service. You can find these used on Ebay for around $160-$225...

·
Registered
698 Posts
check the classifieds here. saw some a few days ago.
e-bay under 9 inch or traction loc or lock.
google same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts