Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
This coming Sat. I'm going to be looking at a '71 500 2dr. (non vinyl) formal roof car. I was hoping the brain trust here could give me some insight as to where these cars normally have rust issues. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Can't tell much from these photos, but thought I'd post them anyway. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 70 issues were

Floor pans where the passenger and drivers feet would be. The rear trunk lid. And the inner fender well where the battery sits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 71 wagon only has rust in the front cross member under the radiator in each side in the corners. i found a donor car and got a replacement for 50.00
now to cut old out and replace it (its a central fl car)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 71 wagon only has rust in the front cross member under the radiator in each side in the corners. i found a donor car and got a replacement for 50.00
now to cut old out and replace it (its a central fl car)
I'll check out this area as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rear quarters, rocker panels and very bottom portion of the cowl behind the wheel wells. My 71 had no rear quarters left (someone had used chicken wire as a medium to apply filler the gaps were so big) and currently the bottom portion of my cowl is falling apart due to the drain holes being plugged up for a few years.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.
I found a rust issue with the trunk rail where the weather strip mounts, and there might be a slight cowl issue because after a rain, I had some drips coming down the side of my drivers side kick panel as well as on top of the rear wheel wells and on top of the drop offs inside the trunk. Beyond that, above the drivers side wheel arch has been worked, the door seam areas need attention, and the underside of the hood and trunk have perforation. The floors, torque boxes, trunk drop offs, frame, rockers, rear quarters all seem to be quite solid. Still has the original pinch weld along the bottom of the rockers, and lower rear quarters. I'm sure they'll be some other issues, but overall I'm quite pleased:) BTW, whoever did the finish bodywork and paint did a horrible job. Looks they painted it with a Wagner!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts