Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am rebuilding a 351C 4V. I have never built an engine so I have no idea where to start. I am having the block and heads vatted and magnafluxed right now, but when I get them back I dont know where to start. It seems like everything (i.e. cam, pistons, rods...etc) are all dependant on each other, so what do I start with? Do I pick a cam and then base everything else off it? Or do I just pick and choose parts and make them work? Seriously, I have no idea. All I know is the engine was "said to be" pushing 500+hp, but it broke a ring and blew both head gaskets. It was previously bored .040 over and the machine shop guy said it needs to go .060 over unless I sleeve it... I am trying to put it around 500hp again. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Cleveland Blocks are no good at .060, you need to look for another Block or Sleeve the one you have.

What are you doing with it and what heads do you have? How Much Compression? What Type of Cam? Wiat Intake? Carb?

You need to post alot more information about what you have and what you'd like it to do.

Plus Whats the balance of the Driveline, Suspension, Chassis Ect

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Do some research over at 351cleveland.net. That's the best internet source for 351C info. Have the block sonic checked before doing anything - if there is sufficient wall thickness then go ahead (.180ish or better in my mind) and bore. If not, replace the block. You can sleeve one or two bores in a 351C but you should not sleeve all 8. Not only is it way more expensive than a replacement but you will weaken the block to the point that it is unusable. The 351C cylinders are long and not supported well at the base - different casting design from the 351W. The bore support the deck, cut away most of the bores and you lose you deck support. Also, if the walls get too thin they will split.

Also - Rings don't just break, they need a reason. If it was a performacne engine, you need to know why it failed the way it did. If you are starting over with all fresh parts, then just make sure it goes together right. Lots of build info and specs at the site I mentioned earlier.

Also: Home - Clevelands Forever!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The block was magnafluxed and checked out ok. I am going to have the walls sonic checked. I am working with a 72 4 main block code d2ae-cj date 266 (I'm trying to determine if it is the CJ or not, 70 4 barrelclosed chamber heads that have been shaved (waiting to find out how much) and a 71 intake with a Holley 4160 750 carb. After talking to the machinist today I dont think it had near the power I was told it had. The machinist says the factory rods are still good along with the factory crank which he is going to grind. It had a crower ultra beast performance level 4 cam and 2 barrel dish pistons I'm guessing to lower the compression. Like I said, this is the first time I have ever built an engine, so any advice is welcomed.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Well the heads are a good starting point, but I'd find a different block.

Typical budget street builds like you have described generaly get 350-425 hp. Depending on the builders abilty and part selection.

The factory iron intake isn't that bad but aftermarket stuff is an improvemnt.

And yes the D2 blocks where CJ's but they are pretty common as far a Cleveland 4 bolt blocks go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts