Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1961 Ranchero, very rough condition, it has a 170 strait 6 that was pieced together. I was given a complete 1963 260 V8, I am having trouble figuring out what motor mounts are needed and where to get them. Also, I believe because its a 260 it has a 5 bolt transmission pattern, exactly what do I need to buy transmission wise. Keep in mind I know just above your average person when it comes to cars. I am on a tight budget but would like to see the car on the street this year.

Can anyone help me with this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, since you are on a budget and not very experienced why not just stick with the 170 and get it set up properly? Parts will be cheaper and it'll be far easier to work on than would having a V8 jammed into that same space. There will be more things other than the transmission mating that you'll have to adjust by throwing a V8 into it. Front end, steering, suspension will all have to modified to fit that V8 into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears that finding transmissions for the 260 are about as difficult as finding parts for the 170. I want to switch them out because I want a little more power. In all actuality I would prefer a 289 but was given a 260 so thats what im going to go with for now. I have a good mechanic (mopar or no car kind of guy) that will be with me putting this thing together. He doesnt know ford motors but knows what needs to be done to the rest of the car. So with this 260 issue, does anyone know where I could find a 5 bolt C4 transmssion?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 1961 Ranchero, very rough condition, it has a 170 strait 6 that was pieced together. I was given a complete 1963 260 V8, I am having trouble figuring out what motor mounts are needed and where to get them. Also, I believe because its a 260 it has a 5 bolt transmission pattern, exactly what do I need to buy transmission wise. Keep in mind I know just above your average person when it comes to cars. I am on a tight budget but would like to see the car on the street this year.

Can anyone help me with this?
Transmission wise, you only need a 5 bolt bell for the C4, oh and the flexplate (flywheel) and starter. Some early 289s were 5 bolt also, but the 63 model is almost surely a 260. Motor mounts for a 63 V8 should fit the 61 and again, RockAuto is a good place to check. Or go to your local Napa store. Good luck.....

·
Registered
688 Posts
It appears that finding transmissions for the 260 are about as difficult as finding parts for the 170. I want to switch them out because I want a little more power. In all actuality I would prefer a 289 but was given a 260 so thats what im going to go with for now. I have a good mechanic (mopar or no car kind of guy) that will be with me putting this thing together. He doesnt know ford motors but knows what needs to be done to the rest of the car. So with this 260 issue, does anyone know where I could find a 5 bolt C4 transmssion?
Just because the 260 is free is dose not mean that will be your least expansive route there are 2- 5 bolt C4 bells on ebay right now one for $425 and one for $550 then you are going the have to find the block plate and flex plate for a 5 bolt C4 at least another $125 to $200 and then you still need to get a C4 tranny,
You could scrounge swap meets for the bell but who knows when you will find on that the seller dose not know its rare and will sell it cheep.

In my opinion if you want to swap in a V8 I would go with a later model 302 or 5.0 in the end you will spend about the same and come out with a better set up that parts are easier to find. If you find a mid 80s 302 with CFI or the like you can get a overdrive tyranny that uses a kick down rod that can easily be adapted to a carb manifold.

these are the frame brackets you will need to swap in a V8 in the chero but there is also and intermediate bracket you will need

Factory V8 Frame Mounts Falcon Ranchero Mustang 260 289 63 64 65 Comet | eBay

1964 1965 Mustang Falcon 260 289 V8 Frame Engine Mounts | eBay

1964 1965 Mustang Falcon 260 289 V8 Frame Engine Mounts Great Shape | eBay

Here is a complete set I would jump on these for the buy it now Price you will not find it cheaper than the $130 shipped price No they are not mine,

1964 1965 1966 Mustang GT Falcon Comet etc Motor V 8 Mounts | eBay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts