Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Z spec T5 whined at high speeds the day I put it in. At first, I knew it was a little low on oil, but I soon topped it off and while the whine wasn't as strong, it's deffinately still there. What's in there is about 2 quarts of Valvoline mercron/dexron III ATF, and 1/2 qt. of Castrol merc/dex ATF. Both non-synthetic. Several people have told me to try red line synthetic atf. On the summit website, they have: Dexron II/Mercon, Dexron III/Mercon, and synthetic racing fluid. Which one should I get? What's the difference? Would it help with the whining?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Forgive me, I'm not very educated on the subject, but I thought the T5 was a manual... don't you run 90wt in a manual?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Not very many manual transmissions use thick gear oil anymore, they are called "new process" style.

Its what most manual units have used since the mid-80's.

I would definately try the synthetic (full synthetic) from RED LINE.

It may keep the noise down even further, but if theres a bad bearing or something inside, then it does'nt matter what oil is in there...it will need to be fixed!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But my question is, which synthetic? All three of them are syth, but there's the merc/dex II, merc/dex III, and race. Which one do I want?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I just put 3 qt`s of Castrol synthetic dexron/mercon in my T-5, it does not whine and shifts awsume, real smooth, no binding or looking for gears, works great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I understand your question, but I can't remember the answer. I got the wrong stuff the first time, and replaced it (probably for no reason, but I was paranoid). The red-line bottle says on it which type it is for. If you can get someone to read both type bottle labels to you, it's clear. I have them at home, and could tell you tomorrow morning if you don't learn from somewhere else. Sorry about the whine...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts