Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a certified 600 HP small block that I was planning on putting in my '67 Scarelane. 600 is from the dyno, not "pipe dreams" type stuff. Faceplate proshifted TKO tranny, the whole 9 yards.

So today, I get a call from my buddy. He just scored a 390 with 428 SCJ heads, nasty cam, Edelbrock Super Vic intake, 850 Holley. They literally shut the car off (was in a T-Bird) and yanked the motor.

I can have it for $500!!!!!

What would YOU do? Lookin for suggestions here guys, I'm a small block "guru" but I literally know jack shytt about the FE's. I KNOW that's a good deal, and I'm prolly gonna by it regardless.

But, which one do I put in the car?

Pics I took real quick, I'll get a better look at her tonight.
http://www.knights-rule.com/390/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lucky on 6/13/06 3:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, after a bit of research, the casting # on the heads is telling me that it's a Truck part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really don't think that FoMoCo ever put a 428 SCJ in a truck. ???? Someone's feeding me false info already, but I'm still thinking it's a good deal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
check with the guys over at www.fordfe.com . they would know what it is. The C6TE heads, I don't think are 428 CJ heads. It's probably a standard 390 or even a 360 engine

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, check with the experts at FordFE.com. From the pictures, it doesn't look like an Edelbrock Super Victor or Victor Jr. Intake. And the vacuum secondary "top loader" carb doesn't look like an 850 Holley either

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything you guys just said is correct so far. It's a "performer" intake, as soon as I saw the runners, I knew it wasn't a Victor.

GOTTA be truck heads with those casting numbers.

Ain't no way that's an 850 carb either.

I posted that message, then went over and took the pics, edited message. You get the idea.

Still a good deal or no? Starting to have my doubts about it, but I'm looking for that "old skool" Fairlane, and nothing says old school like an FE in my book.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You are right.Those heads are truck heads.A Cobra jet head would be a
C8AE 6090 J or a C8OE 6090 H and would have the dual bolt pattern on the exhaust manifold surface.I have a Holly carb like that one.Its the later model design and it is a 650.I don't know if yours is a 650 or not.Sounds kinda steep to me for a possible truck motor.
Hey did you get your steering wheel?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I own a 390! Got her for $400!!!! Can't go wrong there in my book. Truck motor or not, but the C6 is included!

I may possibly get to actually DRIVE my dream car next month, and that in itself is priceless!!!

Nope, no steering wheel yet Don. Hopeful for tomorrow though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
All you need is three two barrels setting up there and a set of 68 CJ valve covers ..Maybe swap that small block for a set of roller rockers ? You are correct the FE is pretty as a SS in my rear view mirror ..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Don, just talked to my daughter, she said there's a box on the porch that came today, I'm guessing that's it. I'll email you tomorrow when I get home.

Is there anyway to tell a 360 from a 390?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Pull a plug and measure the stroke.Turn it to TDC and then BDC and see what the stroke is.You can't tell an FE displacement from the outside unless its a 427 side oiler or one of the cross-bolted 406 or 427s/

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2006-06-13 19:46, blaster wrote:
Screw the motor, get a set of hipwaders cause it's gettin' real
deep!
What's that supposed to mean?

Anyways, I said no thanks on the 390, the sucker is locked up. It'll go about 1/2 turn either direction and that's it. Think it has a valve hung open.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Doesn't sound like anything about that deal was on the up & up. "Just shut her down and pulled it" Probably been lock-up for awhile.

Man, your lucky you didn't lose your hard earned money on that one. I guess they don't call you lucky for nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts