Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

which carb should i get??

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  PaulS1950 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I really want to get a new carb for my 351w but im not sure what one to go for and what size? My build up is 351 block with edelbrock performer rpm heads and inlet manifold. Tha cam range is 1800 to 6000.

Im thinking about something llike 750cfm does that sound about right?

here is a link to my rebuils site http://www.mustangrebuild.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Marko (Scotland)

#3 ·
Hi, its my daily driver... its not a car for the race track or anything although i do want to use it up strip sometimes. I'm not bothered about feul economy i just want my engine to perform as well as it can!

I was thinking about an edelbrock carb as most of my other parts are edelbrock... what would be a better option the holley or the edelbrock?

the trans is all stock - its a 4 speed manual not sure what ratio the axle is...

#5 ·
Let the drag and boat racers use the double pumpers. For the street a 750 to 780 CFM with vacuum secondaries will be easy to drive and present you with fewer tuning problems. It may not sound as glamorous but it is nice to be able to get in and drive the car without fussing with it all the time.
Paul

#11 ·
Holley catalog recommends 80670 for up to wild street usage. Tuff to argue with that. They recommend the 80770 for 385HP carte engines or the 392 higher HP engines. Personally the 80670 will work great for you. The 82750 has no chock so for street, specially when you need a chock for cold starts, it'll suck big time, strictly a race only piece.

#12 ·
Easiest carb in the WORLD to work is a 1406/1407 Edelbrock 750. Good drivability, decent economy, great power, and no damn power valves =). Plus it'll never leak because there's no fuel above the gasket level.

Cris

#13 ·
Edelbrocks have that reputation for some reason. The only good thing about them is they don't leak. It's hard to adjust cruise AFR compared to WOT. You have to get the rod and jetting just right, if they make a rod and jet combo that will work for you. There is only one adjustment in the acc pump. More. Thats it. No duration changes, or timing changes are possible. They FINALLY corrected their HUGEST problem. The carb was never a vac secondary carb, and it wasn't a DP. It always falls on it's face. The parts are much more available, and cheaper to boot.(There are over 10 different PV selections on a holley. There only 5 on and Edeljunk.) THere is no comparison.

#14 ·
thanks for all your replies.. sounds like the holley 80670 is a good carb for my set up. I havn't had my car at the dyno yet so im not sure of the power output, it think it should be near 400. I'll let you know how it goes... i'm sure it'll be better than the old mexican carb i got that leaks all over my new engine haha!!

Thanks again, Marko

#18 ·
got a 650 speed demon w/ vac secondaries on my 331 ... LOVE IT .. had to do some adjustments, i.e.-jets, PV, secondary spring, but I didnt mind.
Taught me how to tune and adjust a carb and i like messin with stuff. Also liked goin to my friends s hop (he has a dyno) and teachin all those FI boys how to tune a go0d ole carburnator

slammed '04 RX-8 (daily driver)
stroked '66 Mustang (weekend fun)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pass1over on 2/28/07 12:01pm ]</font>

#19 ·
Holley has fixed the power valve failure due to backfires. There is a check valve and a different diaphram material that they use now. They come with a lifetime guarantee. The Holley will usually run as is out of the box well enough for most guys. If you want to tune it for YOUR car you can do that and get the best information from Holley to do it. I have run Holleys on 2500 pound cars and 4300 pound land yaughts and I have had very little trouble with out of the box configuration. (I follow Holley recommendations for size). I also like to tune mine for the vehicle and engine. I really like the vacuum secondaries. You never bog when you push the throttle to the floor and everything in a Holley is tunable. Once you get it the way you like it you just lock the adjustments in with "After Torque" by loc-tite or a dab of RTV and your adjustments stay put until you want to mess with them.
Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.