Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would get some opinions about which carb I should use. Currently have a 2100 2V and will be swapping for a 4 barrel and intake. I don't have the intake yet, so I could use some suggestion as to which one I should get as well as which carb. I have a holley list 8005 which I think is a 600 CFM Vac.Secondary that I could use but, I heard from other people that a 650 double pumper would be a better choice for performance. This is going on a 66 mustang with stock rearend, c4 and pretty much stock engine. I'll be porting the heads and installing headers in the future and hopefully a new cam. This car is mostly street driven with occasional highway.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any 600-625 cfm car is a good choice and get plenty of gas to the motor. I think a 650 dp is overkill.

If it is mainly a street driven car I would recommmend the carter/edelbrock 600-625 cfm. They seem to need less maintenance than Holleys. You will hear different opinions about performance comparision between the two, I've ran both in a very similar motor to the one you plan on building and didn't notice a significant difference on power. The holley would die more often if I slammed on the brakes and ran rougher. Perhaps the edelbrock was a little stronger, but maybe thats becasue it didn't seem to need to be tuned as often to keep it running well.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I think I would stick with the 600 vacuum for a stock or very mild small block with an automatic and stock gears.The 650 does work well with 4-speeds and more heavily modified engines intended more for the "strip" side of things.Maybe after all of your modifications you could try one but I wouldn't at this point.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd stick with a 600vac. sec carb too. I'm a diehard holley fan myself, but for a daily driven street car that you don't want much maintainence too, get an Edelbrock/Carter. Very well street maners and works fine for a mildly modified motor too. Save the double pumper for a more radical motor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Since you already have the 600cfm Holley that would be fine for your current combo. But if you had to get an edelbrock/carter I wouldnt rule out a 500cfm one espically with that lightly modified 289. I ran one on my 302 for a while it had alot better bottom end than my 600cfm Holley but much past 5000rpm and the Holley was much better. Not to seem too biased but I am currently selling a near new 500cfm edelbrock, see blinking ad below.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I use a holley steet avenger 670, I would have gotten the 570, but I plan to swap to a 351 sooner or later. I think it is great and worked good right out of the box. As far as intakes go I would suggest the edelbrock performer RPM or the air gap if you have the money. You can also find weiand stealth intakes on Ebay or stangnet for less than a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer the demon. Road demon would be a good choice. 625 cfm vacuum secondary. Very well made piece. I am also very partial to the rpm air gap manifold. Great combination for a small block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts