Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 427W with a Milodon 8qt pan. Does anyone know where to get a dipstick? Milodon makes one but I don't like it.

Here is a pic of my motor. Just got it back from the engine builder today.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
kinda misleading post.. Its a 351w ... might get better answers if you change that .

p.s. I would also be worried about my engine builder if he sent my motor back like that. why did'nt he clean the block ?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Your timing cover appears to have a factory hole for a dipstick so you could use any dipstick and matching tube that fits it--stock 289/302 or 351w stuff will all work. The oil level should be the same irregardless of pan capacity. I use a 289 cover on my 351w block with Canton 7qt pan and the dipstick assembly is aftermarket chrome stuff for a 289.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
kinda misleading post.. Its a 351w ... Might get better answers if you change that .

P.s. I would also be worried about my engine builder if he sent my motor back like that. why did'nt he clean the block ?
good catch!

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Originally Posted by bartlettracing

kinda misleading post.. Its a 351w ... Might get better answers if you change that .

P.s. I would also be worried about my engine builder if he sent my motor back like that. why did'nt he clean the block ?

Block is clean and perfect. I'm not worried about cosmetics, I know how to use a spray can. There is a waiting list to have this guy do your motor so I opted to paint my own block.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your timing cover appears to have a factory hole for a dipstick so you could use any dipstick and matching tube that fits it--stock 289/302 or 351w stuff will all work. The oil level should be the same irregardless of pan capacity. I use a 289 cover on my 351w block with Canton 7qt pan and the dipstick assembly is aftermarket chrome stuff for a 289.

Dennis thanks for answering my question I didn't know that. This is the intake and carb setup I'm running have you heard of anyone who has run this?

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
... There is a waiting list to have this guy do your motor so I opted to paint my own block.
Hmmm... Bliss? Green? Or? While I do my own assembly anyway, this is a busy time of year for them, and typically a 3-4 week wait for machining, or 6-12 weeks for an assembled engine. I paint mine too. ;)

Your manifold pic looks like the PMS version. Sort-of based on a widened F28 with a pinch more spacing on the carbs. While I have not run one myself (of the specific 351W variety) I don't want to rain on your parade, but feedback from others doing dyno testing indicates a bit of a loss from equivalent single-4 setups. Also, porting is required on them to match your heads, as they are supplied with a centered port to be taken out to what you have (in your case, opening them upwards). The performance is between a Performer and an RPM due to the buried runners. A step-up for your cubes would be the Edel RPM dual quad, also with some good port blending. A downside for the Edel is possible hood clearance issues with it's greater height. Everything is a trade-off, eh?

Oh, and put the carbs on the same direction (both backwards on a Price) and use the progressive linkage for better driveability. Dual quads tend to be a bit sensitive with direct linkage, and have a less linear power response, but it's a personal preference thing for a driver or a good idea for a track car. I love 4x2s, and want to do dual-throttle-body EFI (semi-hidden) version one of these days. Love the looks!
:tup:
David

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
None of those guys, he is retired and doesnt advertise but has drag raced for 50+ years even owns his own super flo bench...lol

Your right this is a PMS set up I mostly bought it because I am building a 64 Fairlane and wanted the T-bolt look but I am going to race it some. I would like to take this motor to Seattle and have it put on a dyno and tuned, any ideas. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
... but has drag raced for 50+ years even owns his own super flo bench...lol
Dave at Flow Technics? LOL - doesn't matter. Anyone with a production shop and halfway decent skills has a waiting list these days. Good for them. :tup:

I don't know of anyone doing carb and distributor tuning these days. It's almost entirely EFI, as it takes far, far longer and more labor to tune old school equipment. I think I may have found a dyno shop that will let me do my own thing. It's tough to find a dyno shop that will "hand you the keys" and let you do your thing. Can't blame them, as it's not easy money like doing HP pulls for rice rockets. Tuning takes time, lots of pulls, lots of spilling fuel from bowls :eek:, swapping cams and springs, etc., and there's a limit to what you can charge to just rent a dyno for a few hours for a basic tune. Still a helluva big jump on track tuning though.

I'll check around to see if anyone is still in the game for less than your left nut.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts