Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a head let go on my 89 mustang gt and i have the money to order heads for it and i need to order tonight so i can do the swap as is this my daily driver/weekend warrior. I wanted to go with the WP windsor Jrs with the 58cc combustion chambers, the will work with stock pistons and cam and it will also RAISE compression. But the windsor sr. have 64cc chambers (basically stock size) but flow a little better. So here is the deal: higher compression, but still running on 93 octane or better flow? Also i don't want to spend alot of money on rocker arms but these heads are stud mount rocker arms so stock one's will not work, so which one's do i buy, someone told me roller rockers won't last long only about 10,000 miles but i have no idea about rocker arms. Any info/suggestions Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
okay, first of all lets get the rocker arm thing out of the way.
Whomever told you rocker arms last 10,000 miles, is stupid. They dont have a life span, and will last practically forever.

If you get World heads, You will need a set of 1.6:1 7/16" stud mount roller rockers. About $175.

As for the heads, what is your budget? What are the plans for the engine, any other mods?

If you dont plan any major mods in the near future, get the world jr, the smaller runners will work better with the stock intake and cam.

If you have mods planned, and dont have a budget limit, then you can open a can of worms and talk about other (better out of the box) head options, like TFS, AFR, etc.

If you are just looking to get the car fixed, a mild performance increase, and on a budget, than you cant beat the iron World heads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i thank you for the response, where can i get those roller rockers for 175? everywhere i look they are 265 and up. also i do plan to just do a intake swap later on in about 3 months. i am going to use the trick flow street 5.0 intake. as for the heads i need to keep the price around 1000 and none to much over 1200 is the max. counting rocker arms. i also want to stay with the stock bottom end and the stock cam and cast iron heads because of cost. i have under drive pullies, 3.55 gears, h pipe no cats, and flowmasters. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
n20 mike:

how much for those heads 165 emmissions legal? My computer won't download their price sheet and they are closed up for the night.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
You can get Comp roller tip rockers for $146.95 in the Summit Catalog. I'm running 12's with these same rockers on a set of unported iron Windsor Jr's on a 289.

Thats not the end of it though. You will need hardened pushrods for the stud/guideplate heads. Also remember that the iron WP heads come with iron valve guides. Its not a problem with stock cams but it might be if you went to a big cam down the road. Also, you have to define "stock" with respect to the valve springs provided on the heads. If you are running a stock roller cam their springs might not be correct for it.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
They are $1325 directly from AFR. The part number for the 165 pedestal mount heads is #1472

These are top quality heads, and are the best out there. They come fully ported, but are not so huge as to kill torque. They use great quality parts too.

They are worth the extra money.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
750 Posts
hope you are right,n2omike.I ordered a set of 225's today.Agonized over them and the Victor Jr's.But flow numbers are almost identical and I have heard good things about them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after calling different places, most places are back ordered on heads 3 weeks. called AFR and they have the heads 165 emmissions legal and they bolt up using existing hardware, but i have to get longer pushrods the guy said. So now what do i do? I do not know how to measure for pushrods and also that takes more time to order them and get them, AFR said 2weeks to make the heads because the don't stock any head? What gives with that?? Help PLease--going crazy....

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
AFR usually makes the heads for each individual customer. That way they can build the head exactly the way you want it. If you need different springs, they put them on, etc.

Rocker geometry will need to be checked regardless of which head is used. Anytime aftermarket heads are installed, the geometry needs to be checked.

With non-adjustable pedestal rocker heads, the pushrod has to be just the right length to provide correct lifter preload. If it's too short, the rockers will 'tick', too long, and the valves will not close properly. With the cam turned to where the valve is closed, as the rocker is tightened, the pushrod gets pinched between the rocker and lifter. When the pushrod is the right length, all the 'slack' should be gone about 1/2 to 3/4 turn before the rocker is all the way tight. It's not nearly as hard as it might sound. An adjustable pushrod can be made or purchased to make the job easier.

They guys at AFR should be able to get you in the ballpark as far as length is concerned. They should know how much longer than stock their heads require. Maybe someone here that has installed a set of pedestal mount AFR's can give you some pointers.

Give AFR another call, and see what they can tell you. Go ahead and order the heads, and get ready to make some power.

Good Luck!

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 4/23/02 7:52am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts