Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have C/4 from a 66 ford full size passenger car in a falcon. Modulator valve needs replaced and the old one has lost it's color strip. Which one do i need as i have found them with , white , green , black and pink ? The local parts supplier has been no help , they will sell me what ever they have in stock. It does have a 67 valve body in it , i had that done to change the shifting pattern from the green dot original.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
White stripe, screw-in (not push-in).

David

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a Google search and they all say "screw in" which i knew. But some say , green some white some pink . What is the difference in them ? I entered the same information there as i did here.I know they are adjustable but thought it better if i started with the correct one.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Other colors denote different vacuum response, and are for specific applications, such as the 4-cylinder Pinto wagon, C6 HD trucks, etc. For the pre-'73 C4 (screw-in), the white-stripe version is for most applications. For 1973+ (push-in), the green stripe does it for most. HTH

David

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other colors denote different vacuum response, and are for specific applications, such as the 4-cylinder Pinto wagon, C6 HD trucks, etc. For the pre-'73 C4 (screw-in), the white-stripe version is for most applications. For 1973+ (push-in), the green stripe does it for most. HTH

David
Good information , I'l have to get a new one and go from there. Thanks , JIM

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I checked to see what I have . I got it from NAPA last year and it is a screw in with a ' BLUE ' stripe I have been told to use ' GREEN ' by some and ' WHITE ' by others. So I am not learning any thing . It is a C/4 from a 66 full size passenger car , in a falcon with the 66 289 that came with the trany. Are there any c/4 transmission experts out there that can tell me the difference in the 'WHITE' stripe and 'BLUE ' stripe one . Which one belongs with this C/4 ? First to second shift is real close , then much longer to third. I know they can be adjusted but so far that has not helped much.Would this be a modulator problem or some thing inside.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
The blue-stripe was spec'ed for the 289 and Cruise-O-Matic transmission. 1966/67 had both transmissions behind 289s. Don't forget your modulator pin also has a length range. IIRC, minimum is 1.610 and max is 1.750 for the screw-in modulator. Longer gives higher shift. You can use coat hangar wire or a 6d nail to make a new longer pin.

David

PS: for others reading this, the push-in style modulator uses a shorter max length of 1.650".

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This one is the 66 c/4 ,the one they call the GREEN DOT one. I had a shop change the valve body to a 67 because i never liked the shift pattern of the GREEN DOT one. I pull clear back and it's in first . I move it up to the third position and it starts in first,goes to second pretty close together. Then it finally goes in to third at about 45 to 50 mph. It's the closeness between first and second i don't like . I did adjust it but never changed the pin. I think i will get the white strip one and start all over. Thanks , JIM

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might be an adjustment... If it's adjustable remove the vacuum hose, and insert a small thin regular screw driver and turn one turn counter clockwise. Then test drive and see if your 1-2 shift is wider.

I did adjust it about 2 years ago when i had it in a different car, but i don't remember which way i turned it,getting old L.O.L. I,m going to get a new white stripe one and start all over. If it don't work right I'l just live with it for a while . I am planning on putting in a AOD as soon as i get enough ahead to get it rebuilt. I used it a little but in never went in to overdrive right, it will help on MPG too. Thanks for the advice. JIM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts