Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big block bellhousing, pan fill case, rebuilt converter that came with the transmission, mated to a 400 with a stock replacement flexplate, stock seperator plate. It seems another of my woes in this trans swap is that the snout of the converter is bottoming out in the trans pump.

The trans mates flush to the engine without any bolts being put in, so no i did not pull them together. In my experience, i should be able to push the converter away from the flexplate and spin it around.

I know the converter is installed all the way into the trans before i put the trans up to the engine.

I test fit the converter to the flex plate and it mated up just fine and flush with no binding or shoving.

I have not tried to pry them apart yet to see if maybe its just bound up on the flexplate or something along that line but im hoping that someone might have experienced this and might have and answer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If the convertor has 4 studs there is no way you are going to spin it.

There must be some "wiggle" in the studs.

That means you are ok.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
If the convertor has 4 studs there is no way you are going to spin it.

There must be some "wiggle" in the studs.

That means you are ok.
+1. With a good setup, you'll have 1/8 to 3/16" fore and aft play in the converter. Generally, if it isn't bound hard against the flexplate - you're good. :tup:

David

PS: did you have other problems?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to yard it out and measure with the input shaft the way it is, and then flip it as suggested. Is there a length I should be aware of for the converter snout? My impression is that the snout may be bottomed out in the pump, but it may not be. It is tight to the flex plate for sure though.
David: I haven't had any problems that were not self induced so far.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, problem located! The distance from the seperator plate to the flex plate miunting surface is greater than the distance of the TQ/C mounting pads to the bellhousing face. Now, how do i solve this? The converter is in all the way. The input shaft can not be flipped due to spline count differences end to end. The flex plate is new, but I tossed the old one so i can't compare them again... What now guys?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, didn't toss the old flexplate, significant difference I didn't notice when I compared them originaly. Must have compared from a distance because its obvious now...

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
You're after the same common 164T flexplate as used with 351W, 351C, or 351M, with a C4, FMX, or AOD trans. The Ford numbers could be C5AZ-6375-T or E0AZ-6375-A. Lookups could be 1988 Ford LTD 5.8L (351W), or a 1977 Thunderbird 351M, or a bazillion others. NAPA often lists them as "except C6" or something like that. Just swap it at NAPA for the right one. Probably same or even less cost.
:D
David

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well my old one wasn't bad, I just replaced it for good measure, so I re installed it and got going. The trans isn't quite right though, so now im on to trouble shooting. Thanks for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts