Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the tranny yesterday to have the flywheel balanced, and while that's going on, I'm gonna tie up some loose ends. The first time around, I got a roller bearing from an '88 5.0 and it barely fit in my crank. I had to pound it in with a hammer, and it's still sticking out about 1/8". So, what's the problem? Did I use the wrong bearing? Should I use the original style bushing? What should I do? I ran the car for a few months like this, I just did the best I could to make sure the bearing was in straight, and just had to make due. Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Just put a new pilot bearing in my truck and it fit just like you described so I think you should be ok.I used a socket that fit on the outside area of the bearing and pounded it in with a hammer.I had an extremely hard time getting the old one out so be careful not to damage your new one while you are putting your tranny in and out

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just put a roller pilot bearing in my early 302 crank it went in all the way to the shoulder ont he bearing with no problem. Just a few hammer hits on a hardened impact wrench socket.

Maybe your crank was dirty or damaged.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Sounds like you should be good, your description sounds just like my installation. If you are still concerned you can trial fit the tranny w/o the clutch and disk to make sure the input shaft does not bottom out on the bearing, just a thought. Oh, stay with the roller bearing, it is a much better unit, longer life and less friction which means less heat.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Roller bearings will wear a groove in the input shaft snout....."Oilite" bushing found at Advance Auto Parts works great and won't damage your input shaft!!!

Just a thought....
Cobrajack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts