Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking the local pyp recently and ran across what I think is a 67 Mercury Park Lane with 410 4V Marauder engine in it. From what I've read this is a fairly stout engine.....340hp ~450 ft/lbs tq. What I was looking at was the 3rd member in the rear axle. Would this car have a 9" rear axle or the less common 9.5" rear axle???

It caught my eye because the 3rd member case is double ribbed like the N 9" case, but I didn't see an "N" on the case, which made me think it's a 9.5" rear axle.

Is there any way to visually differentiate a 9" rear axle from a 9.5" rear axle?

After spending some time on the net looking for info on the 410 4V engine in this car.....it looks like it's a factory "stroked" 390 FE, correct? I don't have any use for this engine right now....but I've always wanted to do an S code Mustang and thought this 410 4V might be a good starting point for a project.

I'm fishing for opinions on whether or not to grab the complete engine or any parts from it???

Is there anything from this car or engine that brings a pretty penny?
Thank you.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
There are 3 types of double-ribbed cases that will fit a 9" axle housing. First is the N case you know about. It has horizontal ribs that flatten at the ends and get a bit fatter where they go parallel with the axle. Note that not all N cases had the "N" in the box. Some have a little N by the casting number on the back and on the main caps. I saw one of those last week.

The next style is the earlier WAB or WAR case, which looks like an N case, but the ends of the horizontal ribs are not flattened wide at the ends. They just curve evenly around until they are clipped right at the end.

The last is the 9-3/8" (sometimes called a 9-1/2"), which looks like the N, but has the top rib curve down towards the ground on the driver's side. They are very strong, and commonly limited-slip, but are difficult to get parts or gears for. They will bolt into a standard 9" housing if you grind a little notch for the gear to clear going in. Found in big cars (usually Lincolns) and sometimes pickups.

KevinStang has a good page with pics that may help you ID them here. And post the VIN and door tag info on the Merc for clues of what may be useful. Often you can bargain to take the whole car for a bit more than they would get for just the engine or scrapping it.

David

Here I'm showing the shape of the rib-end on a WAB or WAR case (this one is a WAB):

And this is the same rib-end on an N case:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know of an online resource that shows what vehicle came with what axle? It seems like I ran into a site years ago that was very extensive and had a listing for every Ford vehicle......

Anyone?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I was walking the local pyp recently and ran across what I think is a 67 Mercury Park Lane with 410 4V Marauder engine in it. From what I've read this is a fairly stout engine.....340hp ~450 ft/lbs tq. What I was looking at was the 3rd member in the rear axle. Would this car have a 9" rear axle or the less common 9.5" rear axle???

It caught my eye because the 3rd member case is double ribbed like the N 9" case, but I didn't see an "N" on the case, which made me think it's a 9.5" rear axle.

Is there any way to visually differentiate a 9" rear axle from a 9.5" rear axle?

After spending some time on the net looking for info on the 410 4V engine in this car.....it looks like it's a factory "stroked" 390 FE, correct? I don't have any use for this engine right now....but I've always wanted to do an S code Mustang and thought this 410 4V might be a good starting point for a project.

I'm fishing for opinions on whether or not to grab the complete engine or any parts from it???

Is there anything from this car or engine that brings a pretty penny?
Thank you.
I'm sure if you buy it , someone will give you a nice shiny penny for it

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
At the shop is a 1967 410 4V Marauder . Think they are asking 1800 for complete car. Car is very fixable and runs well. The motor is a 390 with a 428 crank , yes stroked from the factory. Has alittle more punch than a 390.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know of an online resource that shows what vehicle came with what axle? It seems like I ran into a site years ago that was very extensive and had a listing for every Ford vehicle......

Anyone?

Still looking for info on rear axle. Thanks in advance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts