Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've read and been told in this chatroom, I've been thinking of upgrading my rearend. My wife volunteered to go to the junk yard with me (I almost fell over) and look around. I found a 1968 Continental with what I believe is a 9". Next to it is a 1986 MarkVII with disk brake rearend. Would the Mark VII be a 8.8"? I didnt have a tape measure, figured I'd have to cut it down anyway. Would they both be 5 on 4.5"?
Thanks
Tracy

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thats what I needed. The axles should be 5 on 4.5 shouldnt they?
Thanks
Tracy

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Most early Lincolns were 5" lug spacing and also they had a 9 3/8" rearend. Not the same as a 9". But they look like one. Make sure of what it is before you get it. 86 Lincoln, could be a 8.8 or 9" just have to check it and loo at the ID tag.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You were right, 9 3/8 rear. I found a 1957 ford 9" housing with axles that will bolt right in. Will the brakes off my 8" work on a 9"

Thanks for all the help
Tracy

·
Registered
275 Posts
8" brakes will work on small bearing 9" axles. I think the 50's 9's were small bearing, but I am not sure.

If your are into 4 wheel disc brakes, and have a big bearing housing, it's pretty easy to swap in the late 90's explorer rear discs.

Eric

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
On 2006-05-07 22:17, Tracer64 wrote:
You were right, 9 3/8 rear. I found a 1957 ford 9" housing with axles that will bolt right in. Will the brakes off my 8" work on a 9"

Thanks for all the help
Tracy
Been there, done that.

the 57-59 passenger cars used small bearings. Ranchero's and possibly station wagons were large bearing. 65/66 Mustang 8" axles/bearings are a direct bolt-in and the complete brakes are too (assuming the 57' rear is a small bearing unit.) I assume your Comet would be the same.

In hindsite, I wished I would have tried to retain the 59' brakes, because I believe they were bigger--I was under a time crunch/budget and just slapped the Mustang stuff on.

You might have to piddle with the brake lines--I used the Mustang ones on my 59' housing and needed to relocate the junction where the hose attaches. No big deal.

Be sure to get the U bolts (or plan on buying new ones because they are differerent than Mustangs had.) They should be 3" on the 57'. The spring/shock mounting plate (under the spring) is also different so grab them too.

My 59' pumpkin had the short pinion yoke so I was able to use the stock driveshaft.

65' Stang

393 stroker, Toploader 4 spd, 3:50 rear.

Victor Jr. knockoff heads, 282S cam, Stealth intake, Bigs Stage 5 750DP, Accufab headers, Scattershield, Caltracs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 5/9/06 4:35am ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
8 or 9 will fit it. There really is only 2 brake plate/axle housing bolt patterns. The real difference is the brake size 9-11" diameter. But hell yeah, get it. We'll do the brakes later.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard the axles (28 spline) were the same in the 8 & 9" with the small bearings? If they are small bearings the tubes will taper down like my 8"? These are straight all the way accross.
Tracy

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nevermind, guess if I would just read instead of asking

Thank you for all your help, sure I'll be asking stuff again!
Tracy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts