Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
National 51098
SKF 15142
Should be able to find these at your local parts stores.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
The small bearing Ford 9" uses the same RW207CCRA (Timken #) bearing for both 28 and 31-spline axles. However, the seal is different, with 28-spline using the 9569S and the 31-spline using the 9363S seal (National #s).

The 51098 seal is for 28-spline large bearing axles if using the 88128RA sealed ball bearing (usually Galaxie/Bronco/late Torino and disc brake applications) or 514003P (drums). The large bearing combinations are confusing. For reference, the A20/SET20 roller bearing (1974+ pickups, vans, some big cars) uses the 3195 seal. :( Bah.

David

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I bought a couple of the seals and they are somewhere out in the garage, went to look but couldn't find them. I will try again tomorrow. I have the same size axle.

Both of those numbers I gave you are correct for my early 9 inch with 28 spline axles. Check those nbrs. on Rockauto.com. do a pn search.

Sorry, didn't realize you were in Norway.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Perhaps these shots of the Timken catalog will help. They have two automotive catalogs, one for 1990 and newer, and one for 1989 and earlier. I have found them to be quite reliable. Of course, the Cougar and Mustang are identical for the early years. I included other popular models (except trucks) for reference. HTH

David

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Communicated with the SKF-shop here today, they had to import it from USA. Ill import it from Rockauto by myself. Thanks for the info:tup:

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I did a little more digging and found the old seals and new seal boxes. Seems I was incorrect. When I knock out the old seals one was a Victor 46121-c1 which crossed to skf 13738 which crosses to Timkin 9560. I bought them at NAPA. So to insure what you really need, check the nbr on your old seal. That's the only way you can be sure since there were many different applications with Ford.
The seals I posted previously were for another Ford axle, can't remember what I was working on at the time.
If the seals are still in the housing clean them off with a rag and use a flash light. you should be able to see the number.
Sorry for the confusion and good luck.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The RW207CCRA bearing and 9569S seal is ordered. Because its small bearing they will probably fit. But I may check the seal tomorrow

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I show the info below from FM/National. It appears the seal is nearly identical, with a small difference in the seal lip design. I think one has a garter spring and the other does not - but I'm not positive about that. What you ordered should fit. The only odd thing is a different set of dimensions from Rocket compared to my other two. Probably just a web page typo, but the more common 9569S seal used in most years may be too small. Small bearing Galaxie housings are unusual in other years. You may have an "oddball".

David

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hey David,
Might wanna post those part book pics in the rear end tech section, for ease of finding....
Just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts