Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to rebuild a 69 and earlier c-4.I am going to use a vb and drums from a 70 up.Should I buy the rebuild kit for the 70 up or the 69 and older one. Thanks NOVICOUPE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NOVICOUPE on 5/11/07 2:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
On 2007-05-10 11:08, NOVICOUPE wrote:
I am getting ready to rebuild a 69 and earlier c-4.I am going to use a vb and drums from a 70 up.Should I buy the rebuild kit for the 70 up or the 69 and older one. Thanks NOVICOUPE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NOVICOUPE on 5/11/07 2:19am ]</font>
Take a very good look in the modulator area, I do not beleive you can do that VB swap. Do not know the exact year the change was made.

Use the rebuild kit for your tranny year, more likely to be correct though there is not much difference that way, VB gaskets mostly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any way to tell the year of the case without the id tag.I have several later c-4s but they are all big bell cases.I want to use a small bell case for header clearance.I can probably just pick up a case at the local tranny shop but I need to know for sure what I am looking for.Thanks NOVICOUPE

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Yes on the side of the case adjacent to the shift lever there is 2 cast in discs which has the month and year cast in.. Another way to tell is the breather must be on the extension housing not on the main case above the rear servo.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
On the C4 there is also a stamped part number on the case - the first part is D2XX - the D is for 1970's and the 2 makes it 1972 - the XX are two letters that identify what it was made for passenger car, performance, truck or specialty and where it was made. The "ZZ" trannys have all the good stuff in them but they are few and far between.
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts