Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
408w (stroker 351w) Turning about 7000 in the traps. Shift at 7000.
afr 205 untouched.
super victor untouched.
950 quick fuel .(racing gas)
Powerglide 1.76 low. 4.86 rear gear.
I'ts been suggested that the cam is to big for the combo and the car does not have a trmendous amount of bottom end power. The 8" 5500 torque converter is a little loose up top too.
Cam Specs are 271-279 @ .050 Lobe Seperation is 108.
Intake Centerline is 108.
Lift is .673.
Car weighs 2900 lbs.
This is my sons car and it will never see nitrous. The heads are coming off for regardless so I've got to find something equal to or better than the AFR 205. I just don't want IT to slow down. Car runs 6.40's plus or minus a few hundreths. MPH is 106. Mph was 107/8 when we had a tighter converter in it but et was slower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4CbTC72bU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=9mesTiEhBd0&NR=1

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How deep are your pockets?

Not deep enough to open up a new Hallsville dragstrip. I raced there a time or three myself. I was reading your post. If you look on the Google Earth just to the north of the track they just closed down you can see the old original Hallsville dragstrip. There has been a little talk about opening one over off I 20 between Tyler and Longview. That track above Shreveport was way out of the way. Bd location. No Trees. Just Hot and hard to get to. I race at Prescott, Ar. now as do many of the Longview area folks.

My son is replacing the AFR 205s so we want something better than that. I don't care as long as I don't have to pull it back apart and change pistons. I figure max 3000.00 dollars. It has 58cc heads in it now and the piston is out of the deck about .006 by machine shop mistake. It's at least 13:1 compression like it is.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
If I had a lot of cash for some heads I might look into this guy's stuff.

www.jonkaaseracingengines.com

I hope somebody does something for us around here for a drag strip.
Red River was definitely out in the middle of nowhere.
I could go up to the new track near Kaufman maybe.
I don't know where this track in Arkansas is.

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
Not deep enough to open up a new Hallsville dragstrip. I raced there a time or three myself. I was reading your post. If you look on the Google Earth just to the north of the track they just closed down you can see the old original Hallsville dragstrip. There has been a little talk about opening one over off I 20 between Tyler and Longview. That track above Shreveport was way out of the way. Bd location. No Trees. Just Hot and hard to get to. I race at Prescott, Ar. now as do many of the Longview area folks.

My son is replacing the AFR 205s so we want something better than that. I don't care as long as I don't have to pull it back apart and change pistons. I figure max 3000.00 dollars. It has 58cc heads in it now and the piston is out of the deck about .006 by machine shop mistake. It's at least 13:1 compression like it is.
Why not have the 205's ported? I would think that in the hands of a good porter, you could get 50 hp out of the intake and heads you have

However, after reading the comment that it is soft down low, if you are considering a smaller head to make up for the cam, that would be backwards.

I have always been successful with making power with a good head and then cam to match use. The other way around will slow the car down quickly

I think I'd do the one that matches your needs the best

1 - port what you have and run it
2 - advance the cam as far as you can and run it if the cam is too big, 103/104 ICL will bring back some snap down low if you need it. (watch intake valve clearance)
3 - change the cam to what you want if you think it needs bottom end and either go more head or port what you have

I will say the video sounded like he was shifting short

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Dallas Raceway has the best track surface of any track I've ever been down.
Presscott Raceway is a wonderful little 1/8 mile 1000ft track off I30 in Arkansas. It's nothing out of the ordinary but the setting is beautiful and the people are good people. Jackie Lewis will do anything he can to help you out.
Most people that are coming from Longview take exit 44 off I30 at Prescott and go south on Highway 24 towards Camden,Ark. and turn left on Hwy 53 and it's about a 1/2 mile on the left. The end of the dragstrip actually comes out on 24 right before you turn left on 53 and I've heard stories of people in the past not being able to stop and winding up out on Hwy 53. Really fast cars that is. These videos I'm posting were all taken there.
Many old Hallsville racers race there on a pretty regular basis.

Mustang Prescott 6.40 1/8th - YouTube

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

We wanted to use the P38 head when we started the project but they were not going to be available at that time for 8 months or so and we just didn't want to wait so we went with the AFR 205 head.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not have the 205's ported? I would think that in the hands of a good porter, you could get 50 hp out of the intake and heads you have

However, after reading the comment that it is soft down low, if you are considering a smaller head to make up for the cam, that would be backwards.

I have always been successful with making power with a good head and then cam to match use. The other way around will slow the car down quickly

2 - advance the cam as far as you can and run it if the cam is too big, 103/104 ICL will bring back some snap down low if you need it. (watch intake valve clearance)
3 - change the cam to what you want if you think it needs bottom end and either go more head or port what you have

These heads are coming off the 408 motor this week. They are not going to be used. They are going on a 347. I was just trying to find a head that would be a little better than these. I'm thinking the new AFR 220 might fit the bill. Has anyone else looked at that head? They seem to have a smaller exhaust valve than the 205's. Weird. I'm going to try to advance the cam a few degrees and see if that helps. I was told that non off the shelf cams from Comp were ground with no advance in them so maybe it needs a few degrees. It has tons of top end power. We broke the sprag in our first PTC 8" torque convertor and the car was being foot braked at the time and it would run 6.70's at 107/8 with a broken spag. We went spragless this time and love it. Now it has a little bottom end and is extremely consistent. If you listen to my original video of the car you can tell it's spragless converter buy the way it has no compression braking after he lifts on the top end. We are going to be running alcohol this year too. Not sure who's carb yet but it will be carbed on Alcohol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will need the compression to run alky.

Ya, I'll still have the compression as long as I stay with a 58cc C chamber.

I wanted to ask you about your Fastback. I Purchased a 65 2+2 Fastback in about 1980-82 from a guys backyard in White Oak Texas.
This car was a A code motor with an automatic. I had to have the old automatic rebuilt. I think it was a FMX or something like that. It had dots in th shifter if I remember right and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a c4. I sold the car a few years later with doing much to it. (STUPID I am) and I was just wonder if you had that old car. It was black and the interior was in really good shape. Everything was there if you know what I mean. The little 289 ran surprisingly good. I was I had never sold that car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

The shifter shifted at 7000 rpm. Leave RPM is 4500 or 4800 one or the other. That's an Deadenbear spring loaded shift solenoid shifting a Turbo Action SCS Cheetah shifter. The solenoid is triggered off the tach shift light sig. All he does is hold on to the steering wheel and ride.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Ya, I'll still have the compression as long as I stay with a 58cc C chamber.

I wanted to ask you about your Fastback. I Purchased a 65 2+2 Fastback in about 1980-82 from a guys backyard in White Oak Texas.
This car was a A code motor with an automatic. I had to have the old automatic rebuilt. I think it was a FMX or something like that. It had dots in th shifter if I remember right and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a c4. I sold the car a few years later with doing much to it. (STUPID I am) and I was just wonder if you had that old car. It was black and the interior was in really good shape. Everything was there if you know what I mean. The little 289 ran surprisingly good. I was I had never sold that car.
no FMX in 65

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
This car was a A code motor with an automatic. I had to have the old automatic rebuilt. I think it was a FMX or something like that. It had dots in th shifter if I remember right and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a c4.
That was a C4. Those old C4's had D1 and D2. D1 was the larger green dot. It started out in 1st gear. D2 was the smaller white dot. It started out in 2nd gear. D2 was designed for taking off in slick conditions.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
My car came originally with a green dot(take off in second gear) C4 which was only built in 65. It also had the original dealer installed under dash AC.

Years ago I used to take it over to the little back woods 8th mile track at 7 Points. That is where the speed bug got to me. The green dot C4 was not conducive to horsepower or drag racing so it is sitting over in the corner of my shop. I burned the clutches out of it and broke 2 input shafts and disintegrated one converter. It was hard to shift right too. You had to start in drive and as soon as it hit second, pull it down into low to hold second. I honestly do not understand what posessed Ford to invent that atrocity.

I found my car up in Garland or Grand Prairie about 20 years ago. An otis elevator tech had about a dozen mustangs in his back yard. He was working with someone in Canada. This was not an A code car. 289 2V or C code and originally had magnum 500's on it before I put on the Draglites. It was in very nice driver shape though. I drove it just like I bought it for 2 or 3 years before the go fast urges kicked in. If I had not bought that car it would have been shipped to Canada on a car hauler loaded with vintage mustangs the next week.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
My car came originally with a green dot(take off in second gear) C4 which was only built in 65.
The 'greed dot' C4 was not a 1965 only transmission. Mine is a 1966 model, and it came with the green dot C4. I drove it like that for a year or two before swapping to a 4-speed.

You could take off with it on the green dot, and shift to the white dot... which would instantly change to 2nd gear, instead of waiting for it to shift if just left in the green dot position. You just had to be careful and not move it too far and hit neutral. lol :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My car came originally with a green dot(take off in second gear) C4 which was only built in 65. It also had the original dealer installed under dash AC.

Years ago I used to take it over to the little back woods 8th mile track at 7 Points. That is where the speed bug got to me. The green dot C4 was not conducive to horsepower or drag racing so it is sitting over in the corner of my shop. I burned the clutches out of it and broke 2 input shafts and disintegrated one converter. It was hard to shift right too. You had to start in drive and as soon as it hit second, pull it down into low to hold second. I honestly do not understand what posessed Ford to invent that atrocity.

I found my car up in Garland or Grand Prairie about 20 years ago. An otis elevator tech had about a dozen mustangs in his back yard. He was working with someone in Canada. This was not an A code car. 289 2V or C code and originally had magnum 500's on it before I put on the Draglites. It was in very nice driver shape though. I drove it just like I bought it for 2 or 3 years before the go fast urges kicked in. If I had not bought that car it would have been shipped to Canada on a car hauler loaded with vintage mustangs the next week.
I really wish I had kept my old fastback. It was clean but I don't think I remember it having underdash A/C I just don't think it had that. It was the 2 barrel car which I think is a C code car. It ran like a top. I never figured the transmission out. I had no idea it was a c4 though. My brother had a 69 302 Mustang Grande that had a c4 in it and it shifted normal. D-2-1. My current back halved 65 Mustang is an old A code car out of Louisiana.
I'm glad you saved that car. It's a beut.
I've raced out at 7 points before. I think your talking Cedar Creek. Talk about neat. That was a walk back in time racing there. We used to go to the bracket finals every year for Hallsville Raceway and when all the activities were over on Friday at Ennis we would head over to Cedar Creek for some super 1/8 mile racing. The competition was brutal with all the bracket finals cars that showed up. The track as it was at that time, you could nearly stand on the guard rail and touch the cars as they came by.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brodix SBF KC LH F 17 210cc Cylinder Head

2.080 Intake:

0.200: 151
0.300: 223
0.400: 269
0.500: 300
0.600: 319
0.650: 322
0.700: 323
1.600 Exhaust:

0.200: 113
0.300: 166
0.400: 200
0.500: 217
0.600: 222
0.650: 222
0.700: 222

Brodix SBF KC 210

I have the 195s on my 351w Good flow numbers with good port velocity.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well we got the new heads on and the alcohol carb and the car picked up about .25 in the 1/8th. 60's in the 1.37 range and 330's in the 4.00 range and mph was 109 every pass except one that was 110.
Picked up .25 seconds and 3-4 mph in the 1/8 mile. Not bad and the motor loved alcohol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts