Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up my digital guages in my 65 and am working on the speedo now. I need a driven gear(at the end of the speedo cable) for my 89 T-5 tranny does anyone know the color, # of teeth or part # for their gear? The guys at the Ford parts counter acted like they had no idea even after I explained to them that my gear and tire size doesn't matter, since my speedo is adjustable. I said, "Can't you just find me any T-5 gear?" He said, "I need to know the year, tire size and gearing." I just muttered something about finding out the exact one i needed. Don't all T-5's use the same type of gear with different teeth counts?

·
Registered
749 Posts
factory T5's thru 89 have a 7 tooth drive gear....90- T5's have a 8 tooth(all T5Z's are 7 tooth). If in fact you have a 7 tooth drive gear T5 you use a red driven gear(21 tooth) for 3.73's with stock hieght tires for 85-90 5.0 stangs(225/60/15) around 25.6 in tall. So depending on what tires size you are running that might be the one for you. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a gear that is common to both the 7 and 8 tooth drive gear? Like I said my tires and gearing don't matter.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I see what your saying now just get the red 21 tooth driven gear and adjust it from there you should be good to go then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts