Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting rid of my worn out Holley Systemax heads and going with TFS heads for my mildly built '87HO 302.
From what I've read the TFS heads are just as good as AFRs and not as expensive.

The question is, which ones do I need to purchase for the car?
Like I said it's a mildly built 302 that I am street driving and (hopefully) going to be running in some HPDEs.
I don't plan on stroking the motor, if I do anything more wild it would be to add a blower or turbo, but that's way, way down the road. If at all.
I am running an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Holley 750cfm carb right now. I might change those out later as I adapt and learn.

These are the pair that look, to me, to be the best fit:
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51400004-M61 - Trick Flow® Twisted Wedge® 170 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Ford - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Those are the ones I would use.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
... I don't plan on stroking the motor, if I do anything more wild it would be to add a blower or turbo, but that's way, way down the road. If at all.
These are the pair that look, to me, to be the best fit:
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51400004-M61 - Trick Flow® Twisted Wedge® 170 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Ford - Overview - SummitRacing.com
+1 Good choice. I would note however, there are two versions differing only in the valve springs. You chose the set with stronger, higher-lift springs. That would be the better choice if using boost (no matter the cam lift) just to help offset the boost pressure on the intake valves, and exhaust manifold pressure on the exhaust valves. This permits rpms that would otherwise be reduced by earlier valve float under boost.

Problem is - you're not boosting yet. I would suggest the lighter springs on the xx002-M61 heads to reduce long-term wear until you can use the extra spring pressure. Change the springs later as part of your boost upgrade. The TFS TW 170s are by far the most popular for boosted small blocks. Able to support over 600hp on pump gas, stock cams and boost, as they actually flow as well or a bit better than the AFRs at lower stock and turbo cam lifts. That's if you don't split the stock block first. ;)

David

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
To reduce wear on what components?
All contact areas affected by increased spring pressure, primarily valve tips, rocker arm tips, fulcrums, pushrod seat, cam, lifters, valve guides to a degree (and depending on proper rocker setup), etc.
What kind of head gaskets do y'all recommend?
For NA street - nothing special. For street low boost - nothing special. Read the instructions and recommendations from Trick Flow for your specific heads. For high boost, come back with your future setup for specific recommendations and considerations.

David

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More questions:
Should I purchase new lifters and if so which ones should I run? I'm prepared to spend the money on link bar type...

Same question with push rods...

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
If the lifters you have a correct and good condition for your cam, then no reason not to keep them. Pushrods are solely based on correct geometry set during installation. Get an adjustable pushrod ($10 to $15), assemble all your valve train parts, adjust the geometry, and order the pushrods based on that correct length. Standard diameter is generally fine for street valve lifts, spring pressures, and RPMs. The pushrods must be hardened to work with guide plates - which you have on those heads.

David

Adjustable pushrods are used to determine correct pushrod length. This example from Jegs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts