Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 66 mustang with a 9" out of a 1969 mustang grande. I've been looking at getting an upgrade to the rear end. With the research i've done, i've only gotten confused. I want something that will be relatively easy to install and be indestructable. I mostly drive street so i dont want to be losing traction around corners, but i also love to take it to the strip, so i need something that that will be a performer on the strip. Basically i'm looking for the ideal combination of durability, handling and strip performance. Links to good products are much appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 66 mustang with a 9" out of a 1969 mustang grande. I've been looking at getting an upgrade to the rear end. With the research i've done, i've only gotten confused. I want something that will be relatively easy to install and be indestructable. I mostly drive street so i dont want to be losing traction around corners, but i also love to take it to the strip, so i need something that that will be a performer on the strip. Basically i'm looking for the ideal combination of durability, handling and strip performance. Links to good products are much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Detroit Locker & N case with 31 spline axles.

shameless plug ..I got a case and locker for sale .

btw , where ever you get the parts . thats what you need

·
Registered
46 Posts
Being new here I do not want to step on any toes. My first thought would be an ARB locker. It requires a small compressor and can be turned on and off. Locked it acts like a spool. unlocked it acts like an open diff. It does not induce torque steer on the street like an automatic locker does. No chirping around corners and available in 31 or 35 spline. No loud bang like when a locker comes out of a corner, and handles shock load better. Not sure about the strip but very common in the off road world.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid of conflicting opinions, i'll look into the arb on the strip, but that does sound appealing, i've heard the detroit doesnt handle well on the road...

·
Registered
684 Posts
I was afraid of conflicting opinions, i'll look into the arb on the strip, but that does sound appealing, i've heard the detroit doesnt handle well on the road...
I have a 9 inch 3.50 Detroit locker in my Daily driver 65 Falcon with no issues. Trac loc's are more street friendly but the clutches will wear over time.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I have a 9 inch 3.50 Detroit locker in my Daily driver 65 Falcon with no issues. Trac loc's are more street friendly but the clutches will wear over time.
I've had my Trac Loc in the Falcon for 14 years and it was used when I put it in back then. It's worked great since day one and still does today. I had a Detroit Locker in another vehicle and I think they're a bit much for a street car unless you're racing it regularly.

John

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have the Tru-Trac with 3.70 gear and 31 splines axles. Tru trac is built by Detroit Locker, but is more streetable and not as noisy. I have run mine at the strip with slicks and have had no issues.

Pete

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Tru-Trac is great for double duty. Puts traction to the wheel with the most traction but differentiates during the turns. Have no regrets putting mine in. If you want a selectable locker, an e-locker (uses electricity) might be better for a car with space constraints.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I've never heard of a Tru Trac or Trac Loc.....do they make these for a 8"....I'm in the market for a posi of some sort.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Detroit Locker in my Torino, it makes some noise, sometimes squeals around a corner. No big deal. I just ignore it. Works fine.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
RickRacer -Tru trac/Trac-lok are Fords way of telling you -Its got posi-traction!
Yes, they make trac loks for the 8" & much, much more
have a look at curries differentials for all kinds of 8" stuff including the Aluma-8" an 8" aluminum center section for your Ford

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cant find an e-locker in 9", thats what I was told was on my axle when I bought it, how do I tell the difference between 9" and 8.8"? I was told it was off of a 69 mustang grande, all I can say for sure is that its definitely not an 8". anyone know where I can get a good e-locker?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts