Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put either 18" or 17" wheels on my 1970 Mach 1. I'd like to get the widest tire possible front and rear. Anyone have suggestions. I've seen some fitment guides but I'd like to hear from real people. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'd say 17" are the biggest you would realistically want because of space, dodgestang has a chart, which is completely made from what real people have reported on what they're running, complete with suspension mods, etc. Really thin tire profiles make driving no fun.

Though I'd personally go with some 15's

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks already have 15s. I've seen that chart too. It's looking like 17X8s and 17X9s. 245 or 255 45 17s and 275 40 17s.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I know, I know, but I just thought I'd push them one last time. Poor little wheels just get kicked to the curb.

Bet I could give them a good home, if they're feeling unwanted.

That tire size sounds good - I've got 265's on an 8" rim on a '67 so with the extra room of a '70 I bet the 275s will fit easy.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well, I think 275 is pushing it on an 8" rim - I've got 265's on an 8" and I wouldn't want to go any bigger with the tire on that size wheel, because it would look silly and probably wouldn't fit very well. It'll be even worse on a shorter profile tire (which will happen if you've got 17"ers)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts