Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the cause of white thick milky oil?

I think I had a front cover leak on my 351w which caused water in the cooling system to enter the oil pan, The oil is very thick and white.

If anyone has experienced this before, should I look elsewhere for the cause of this problem or is my timimg cover/water pump leak a probable cause?

Removing the oil pan is very difficult in my case, so I am considering trying to flush the pan with solvent, is this a good idea? I plan to fill the pan from the front at the crank and allow the solvent to flow directly out.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Fix the leak and then change the oil and filter. Put in 1 qt ATF then fill it the rest of the way with regular oil. ATF is high deterget 10wt. Flushes the system. Drive it for about 100 miles and then chage the oil and filter again. Just add regular oil this time.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Good old Ford tpye F, works good. It's an old trick that worked for years. Just don't run it to long because of the high deterget in it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yeah, it's really fun when the white gunk clogs up your hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Could be the intake manifold gasket too, but if you've got signs of leakage on the timing cover I'd start there. I had the exact same problem with the Bronco this spring... unfortunately for me both my intake AND my timing cover have been seeping a little for years. I replaced the intake gasket first, still had milky oil about a week later, so replaced the timing cover gasket and went through whole nother oil change.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i might have an intake gasket leak also, i know the front and rear rails leak, i put a thick bead of sealant along the rails but it still seems to leak oil from the ends

anyone got a good solution for that problem?

also when installing intake gaskets with the blue sealant rings around the ports should you add a little additional sealant also?

i have been using Permatex Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Sealant, I have been told to try fords motorcraft grey sealant...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts