Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok as soon as i get my drivers license [remember i'm 16] my cousin and I are going to a drag strip. I have a '72 Gran Torino Sport with a 351-C, a C-6 tranny [i think], 3.25:1 gearing, an edlebrock dual port manifold[may have been stock i dunno], and a Holley 650 CFM carb. with 16x10 rims on the back with BFGs on them.... My cousin has, to my knowledge and his for everything on his '86 Oldsmobile Cutlass supreame, with 5.3-5.0 engine, a 305 we think, 3.45:1 gearing, 4-speed tranny 16x7 wheels, and to his knowledge the engine is stock.
Now he says that he will probably lose cause his car has no acceleration, but has a fast 3rd gear. We are betting $50 and we have our dads betting also..hehe.. now i wanna know if as long as nothing breaks will i win? and should i bet more if everyone thinks i will?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go into it like your gonna win...bet it all
His gears will probably get him off the line quicker, but you still got the larger engine and the faster shifts. Unless he can really throw his shifts fast, you have the advantage there. Plus you got the Ford... Probably missing something, but my money is on the Ford.

Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: srfmustang on 4/2/02 10:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok my tranny is a 3 speed auto and his is a 4 speed auto, mine shifts at 3500 and his is really wierd, gears 1 and 3 shift at 2800 and 2nd at 4000.... we don't know why but it does, but my car has some pick up and go, well at least compared to his.
I have somewhat illegally practiced, i have no drivers license so that there is bad when i drive alone, and my street is between a 1/4 and 1/2 mile long, so i borrowed my neighbors distance binoculars, and guessed a spot about a 1/4 down the road, it only took me 12.04 seconds on a stop watch, and my cousin doesn't think he can run low 12's, so i think i will up the antie

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hehe... Nothing like draggin the car on the street near your house without a license...Not condoning it ..just remembering doing the same damn thing myself. Anyhow...you said 4 speed, figured you meant manual transmission. Still, larger engine, makes sense...right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: srfmustang on 4/2/02 11:26am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Hey Randy
Of course, all of us here want to see you clean your cousin out ( $50 pays for a few extra goodies). And we are all glad you doing this LEGALLY @ a drag strip, right.
As this will be your first (of many to come I bet)drag race, just ask anyone here for tips as there are a lot of great guys/gals that would love to help you.
Best 2 ya
Fred

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, i think i will blow him away after 1/8 mile. ohh yeah that legal racing thing.... ever since school resumed in augest,which is also the month i got my car, my friend wants to drag me with a [currently his brothers cars]2002 Frod ranger with a 4 banger, that tops at 90mph due to the computer chip, or with a '90 Buick regal V8 that needs a tranny and he wont have soon, but he wants to drag on Route 303... which in my town is the main road for the most part, and the "starting" place would require us to pass three places where cops love to sit or further down the road and then we'd pass city hall where all the cops usually are...I call him an infedel for wanting to challange me in the first place, and i'm not gonna risk losing my license for a 12 second adreline rush without winning any money since he's not a betting man, so i like the legal Drag strips, and i won't race any of my pathetic foriegn car friends on a public road, unless it's for 10grand and i'm certain to win.
thanks again

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I think the 351c will win all the way. I mean, the '86 car has smog crap, all that HP robbing stuff. But, it does have EFI right? Anyways, why aren't you shifting your C4 or C6 manually? The way I shift my C4 is, put it in first, floor it. Once it hits my designated redline, I blip the shifter lever up one, into 2nd, then immediately put it back into the first position. This locks the car in 2nd gear. Redline 2nd, and then move the shifter back up, letting it finish third. I've never had a 351c, but you need to pull it up to at least 4400 rpms or so... Also, you guys need to do best 2 out of 3 or something. Even when I ran my 66 mustang pure stock (it ran a 16.1 in the 1/4), it burned out the whole 60'. So, your gonna have to play around with traction... Also, if you got the traction, you should powerbreak a bit off the line...

Chris

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Randy
The mentality of most of the rickshaw drivers is a drag race consists of the thought that a dragrace isn't over til I beat you. Some of these yahoos will go for 3/4 of a mile flat out with no regard to themselves, the guy their racing or the little kid running across the street.
Just use your head and don't let them get to you. I would rather talk to you here then read about you in the obituatry (ok, my spelling sucks).

Fred

·
Programmer
856 Posts
One more thing. Knock the street drags off. As much as you can at least. I still race on the street once in a while, but no where near as much as I did. I just had a friend die in a car race a few weeks ago..

Chris

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not against street racing, but i don't think i will ever do it. I'm the smarter 16 year old racer. Race on the street and lose my license for nothing, or race at the strip and driveway and do it again, is the way i see it.
And my friend who i was talking about with the ranger or buick, he has the buick with a V6 3.1 ltr, 4-auto, with 135 horsepower and 130 or somewhere around there in torque... i did the reseach, and i told him this a little bit ago online, and he still wants to race me, but he said he'd consider a day at the track. and maybe i can get some of my other loser friends to bet and take their money, hehehe

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The 86 Olds is a dog,or at least the one my Dad had was.It was a 305 4 barrel 4 speed auto.You shouldn't have any trouble,I don't know if you have a posi or not but although smoke shows look cool they will kill your Et so if you spin off the line back out of the throttle and nail it again. By the way if you think your running 12s your in for a shock but you will have a riot at the track no matter what you run.Why not forget the money and just have some fun.Try letting the tranny shift on its own and then try shifting it manually and see whats quicker.Try lots of different tehcniques to get it to run as quick as you can.Have fun

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'm glad someone else (thanks), mentioned the 12 second gig , (or lack thereof), as going to be a shock.......I didn't want to pee in anyone's wheaties about that.........12 seconds on the street, (or strip), is pretty dammed quick........Been there, done that............

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if that was a 1/4 mile or not, and my "drunken hillbilly" [no offense] nieghbor did the guessing on the distance and timed me... so i don't know my actual time. I will be moving out of my current house, into my grandparents house, and then i will begin my drivers ed. classes soon after, so i can then get my license and go to a drag strip with some freinds. But thanks all for your opinions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts