Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and do you know the rate of the coil, how much is it lowered. see i need to know the approx pounds per inch or whatever, so that i can take these bb cut coils out, they are sooooooo stiff, they break things!
and lastly how or what do i measure for accurateness?! thanks any help would!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I put 620 lb/inch coils which are 13" long free length and lowered the upper control arm 1.25" on the '67 Cougar. This lowered the car about 1" from the stock spring ride height.

I wouldn't go much lower because the header flange clearance is only 4.5".

Rides very nice. I think the stock spring rate is 350--400 lb/inch. The stock springs are 15" free length and were weak, a previous owner put four rubber twist in stiffeners in each spring.

A good alternative is the Mustang GT spring (if you have a 65 -- 66 Mustang) which I think is about 500 -- 550 lb/inch rate.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
66 fairlane 500 2dr fastback
thanks i need to know if 500-600 at normal upper arm height is too much, do they make those mustang ones with 1 or 2 inch drops readymade? if so where or where can i find good custom springs? thanks fellas

·
Registered
206 Posts
Try cutting about half of one coil off the spring,do so with a cut off tool of some type,then heat ONLY the very end of the coil to create the flat wind for the spring seat(perch).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts