Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ,
Ive got to swap bodies and frames on my 64 2 and 4 dr, and am workin up a design for a cart to move my body around with. Nothin fancy, just a square with wheels basicly. WHat size tubing should i go with? Should 4 wheels rated at 500 lb ea handle it? I was thinking bout going with 2x2, 3x3 or 2x3 tubing, .188 thick (3/16) . sound strong enough or go bigger or smaller?

thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Way too heavy-body doesn't weigh that much-I used a box frame of 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 angle bolted together. Used pneumatic wheels, two that swivel. I could push it around the shop with one hand. Used uprights at front body mounts and upper shelf where spare tire lays. welded 1/4 " plates on top of uprights and bolted to the body. have any questions,ask again. wheels are fine-body stripped probably weighs less than 1000#s

·
Registered
71 Posts
It took five people to lift my car body ( stripped )off the blocks it sat on and move it 15 feet onto my trailer. I agree with Stewart. You don't need that heavy of material. 2x2x.125 is good or angle If you are buying new.If you have the material already it would work just fine but a bit hard to work around and more welds.

Gary

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've done over 30 body off restorations.

Usually the bodies go from the chassis to the rotisierre but on occasion I have built a rudimentary dolly out of 2x6s and 3" bugle head screws. Sometimes a short 2x4 upright is necessary.

If you are on a smooth concrete floor el cheapo casters will work just fine.

If you look at the third pic you can see one of the itty bitty plastic casters doing it's job just fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cookie on 10/26/06 9:59am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm with Cookie, sort of. I made mine out of wood & used 4 x 4's. 4" replacement toolbox wheels from Sears.

Moved my Coupe frame, the Falcon, and have the Pinto sitting on it now. Pinto still has all suspension and glass in it. Originally built it for an '83 'Bird project. Has held up well.

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of swaps like this keep the expense & engineering down, spend the saved time & money on the car.

As always, this is just an opinion.

Murff

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds great. Im glad the body doesnt weigh that much. I didnt have any idea what i kind of material would support the unknown weight. Ill see what i have laying around the shop, but stay with the bigger casters since the cement floor isnt perfect. Thank you much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts