Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchaced a summit racing universal radiator to use on my 66 fastback with a FE 390. I made the mounts and have an upper hose that will work for me. What I am missing is a lower hose that will work, and to be honest I am geting extremely frustrated and a bit concrened that the radiator will not work for me :mad:

There are some tight bends and odd angles that need to be achieved, and for some reason the lower hose fitting on the radiator is not coming straight out, it tilts up slightly and points toward the engine as well, which I find very odd. Wouldn't you think that having the hose fitting coming straight out would be better?

If anyone has used the 25.75x19 inch crossflow radiator on a 390, what did you use for a lower hose? I am thinking of ordering in a 64 galaxie lower hose and cutting and splicing it to fit which I don't know how much I would trust it, and will also look to see what the parts store have that may work.

I also have looked at using the stainless hose kits you see at summit, but none of the kits I have seen have an large enough inside diamter to fit the water pump (I believe it is about 2 inch inside diamter that I need)

I anxiously await insight

-Coal-

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
I used an AFCO racing radiator which was similar. I had to cut the lower neck and rotate it to make it come out straight.

Easy to have welded if you know someone that does alum, otherwise you'll have to figure out some way to snake a lower hose around some odd angles

·
Registered
622 Posts
So I recently purchaced a summit racing universal radiator to use on my 66 fastback with a FE 390. I made the mounts and have an upper hose that will work for me. What I am missing is a lower hose that will work, and to be honest I am geting extremely frustrated and a bit concrened that the radiator will not work for me :mad:

There are some tight bends and odd angles that need to be achieved, and for some reason the lower hose fitting on the radiator is not coming straight out, it tilts up slightly and points toward the engine as well, which I find very odd. Wouldn't you think that having the hose fitting coming straight out would be better?

If anyone has used the 25.75x19 inch crossflow radiator on a 390, what did you use for a lower hose? I am thinking of ordering in a 64 galaxie lower hose and cutting and splicing it to fit which I don't know how much I would trust it, and will also look to see what the parts store have that may work.

I also have looked at using the stainless hose kits you see at summit, but none of the kits I have seen have an large enough inside diamter to fit the water pump (I believe it is about 2 inch inside diamter that I need)

I anxiously await insight

-Coal-
i BELIEVE I'm using the same radiator on my galaxie. i had the same problem. what i did was buy a universal 1.5" hose for the water pump and cut it to the size i need and then i bought a universal 1.25" hose for the radiator and cut it to size and put a plastic coupler between them from orchard supply plumbing department and clamped the ends down on it. kinda ghetto rigged though and i still couldn't get the angles right enough to mount the power steering pump because the belt hits. i think the power steering might sit a little lower on the big block than it does on the FE engines. don't know about that.

anyways I'm thinking about possibly running power steering this year and my brothers insist one of those metal universal hoses will work. they're pretty damned expensive just to find out though huh?!

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
1.5" and 1.75" silicone couplers are cheap on FleaBay. You can use mild steel exhaust bends (SS is not necessary) to build any shape you want. This method is currently popular in the custom circles. While you can get bends at the local store, planning what you need and ordering it from online sources will get you whatever shapes you need to make it fit and work well. Mild steel exhaust bends will last many years in a maintained cooling system. I presume you got the universal radiator for Fords and Mopars like the one below (lower left outlet and upper right inlet)?

BTW - I find flexible SS hose kits at swap meets and Craigslist for cheap. They include adapter couplings for all sizes of in's and out's. Just picked-up a couple more for $5 each at a local club swap meet (score! :D). Look around and ask at local clubs if anyone is selling leftovers. :tup:

Alternatively, you can use silicone/rubber bends with straight pipe or hose, however, the silicone bends tend to be far more expensive. If you can find cheap black rubber rad hose with the bends you need, that could be a source for you.

David

Summit universal with "Ford" in/out:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Summit universal with "Ford" in/out:
Other than the filler neck color, that is what I am using.

I spent some time running all over the palce today and at Pep Boys they have in stock the SS Flex Hose kits by spectra. I spent some time looking at them and one of the employees there called spectra and inquired about a hose kit they may have that will fit on the water pump. What the spectra representative said is there is a 2 inch adapter avaliable but you cannot use the chrome covers, which is fine because I dont think I can use them on the pump anyway and you cannot see the chrome cover at the waterpump unless you look for it.

I may just bite the bullet and buy the kit and reducer to avoid having to buy multiple hoses only to cut up and have the potential for leaks.

Anyone ever have a failure of these flex hoses? How good are they, and how much should i trust them in a stock 390?

-coal-

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the same radiator on my 65. I had to cut the lower outlet and get it rewelded straight. Then I cut the original radiator hose and put in a straight pipe to connect the two rubber hoses to get the right angles.

I will be installing a stainless steel flex hose after my engine rebuild so its just one hose.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.