Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can find any where that makes a 3 inch header h-pipe, do you think it would be ok to run a 2 1/4 with a 3 inch system or would that not work out, and also can a muffler shop make a header h pipe? please help

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes a muffler and exhaust shop can make you an H-pipe. It may be a little higher than that 2 1/4 h pipe but it will be worth it if you have a well built and well breathing motor.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
When I put the E4OD in my Bronco I had to chop out the exhaust that was in there, which had an H-pipe. When I had the new exhaust put in I didn't have them do an H-pipe because there wasn't really a good place to put it. About the only place I could put one would be right behind the tranny pan, and it would have to be about two feet long and probably no more than 2.25" pipe. How far back on the exhaust, and how long of tube can an H-pipe be before the gains become not worth the trouble of putting it in?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I've always heard you paint the exhaust, drive it to the shop, then put the crossover in where the paint stops burning off. Either that, or just put it in where it fits! However, I don't know how far back you can put in and still receive maximum gains. I'm guessing closer to the inlet/headers would be best because exhaust pulse would be stronger and scavenging would be better, but that's just a scientific guess on my part. I bet somebody on here can help you better than I Motorhead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts