Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some feedback from guys who have actually built a motor using someone's kit.Who makes a good kit and how much extra did it cost (if anything)to get it working(balancing clearancing whatever)..

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I just "build" my own "kit" by getting parts individually over a period of time. I'll pick up a crank on clearance, rods at an auction, pistons are usually new....stuff like that. Then I'll balance it & assemble it.

But, for what the kits cost these days, it's hard to beat those prices. I saw a 408 kit on Ebay a while back for around $700 new and already balanced, IIRC. I usually pay that much for pistons & rings alone...but those ebay kits were cast crank/hyper or cast pistons where mine are all forged.

Kits can be bought on ebay, AD performance (great prices), CNC motorsports (great prices there too...) or your favorite machine shop can do about whatever you want.

The reason I just build my own stuff is twofold. One, I haven't found a "kit" that is what I want at the price I can afford. Two, I like it built MY way; not how someone else wants it. If I want a cast crank and 15:1 compression, I do it that way and pray that it lasts more than 5 passes. Most of the time I can't find what I want already put together in a "kit" anyway. I guess I am just different.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I pieced mine together off of ebay. I bought a Scat crank, Scat rods and heads from different suppliers who had good feedback. I then dialed Probe for the pistons. Everything else but the intake (again, ebay) was sourced through Summit.

My Scat/Probe assembly balanced easy and had no problems. My Machinist says he never has any problem with Scat stuff.

Had I to do it all over again, I would have went 408 and gotten it from Brian at www.adperformance.com (see a trend?) For just about the same price as I paid individually for my kit, plus shipping, I would have been much further ahead using one of his assemblies which includes bearings and possibly rings. At the time, I believe that delivery was free, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
id watch speedomotive i order some thing from them got charged for it and never saw it then when it did come it was the wrong stuff cnc motorsports and ad performance.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'll say as so many other have. BRIAN at AD performance. got my scat crank,scat h beams, probe pistons. machine shop had no problems with the balance. Same shop did my buddies eagle crank and couln't beleave how much nicer the scat was.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies..After looking everywhere on the internet my local speed shop has Scat rotating assemblies on sale this month so it looks like I may go with a scat 408 kit..

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Just to add to this post. We ordered our Trick Flow heads quite some time ago from Brian at AD Performance and had then shipped up here to Canada. Brian was very accomodating and true to his word. A very smooth transaction and I'd certainly recommend him to anyone.
......John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you to everyone for the kind words.

We can customize any kit that you're looking for. If its something specific just let us know what you want and we're happy to put it together.

Pricing should be the best but we're always able to price match if you see something a few bucks less.

Thank you to everyone for your support.

Brian

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
when you google scat rotating assy's you seem to get some poopie things, who ever thought of that name......they need to change the name.

·
Registered
730 Posts
By the way, I bought a Scat kit from ADPerformance. I haven't started the car yet, but it was sho pretty when I built the engine.

Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts