Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience on ring and pinion gear manufactures?

I've gotten prices on Richmond, Precession Gear, and Yukon.

I am thinking of going with the Precession Gear (cheaper). How do these stack up against the others?

They are going in a Ford 8in that will see a lot of street use.

Thanks,

Dale302

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have always gone with richmond and have never had a problem with them, blew up the rear end but the gear lived

for street duty the other should work ok, all depends how much power you have and how hard you drive it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the Richmond gears run quiet?

Dale

·
Registered
37 Posts
you cant go wrong between Precision and
Richmond,

they are both good quality

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have heard many people say "they're all the same". Maybe they are. I have used Richmond and not had a problem. Used are almost always noisy. I have a Zoom that is also noisy. It could be a mistake on my set-up though. The factory gears were supplied by the lowest bidder.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
In the last couple years I've purchased probably 5 different gear sets, (everything from my old brand x 12 bolt), to my latest 9". I've only purchased Richmond. I can't speak for the others, but I highly recommend richmond.
As for 'do they run quiet'?? If you (or someone else), sets them/any gear set up properly, (as in the correct way/using proper tools/measurements, etc), unless you have a warped/bent axle/third member, etc, etc,, yes, they will run quiet. (also insert bearings being bad/damaged during install. My .002

·
Registered
359 Posts
they run quiet, at least as quiet as a high numeric ratio could be expected to run. really they run quiet if you set the pinion depth correctly, set it up right and you won't have any problems

1 - 7 of 7 Posts