Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know who has a sun distributor machine in the Tacoma / Seattle area? PSIG got any leads on this?

Larry

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Not currently. The knowledgeable old fart near Sequim retired, and I haven't looked around lately. You can do most of it on the engine if you need to, although a bit of a PITA. Maybe a project for FE's July BBQ? ;) How much curving do you need, Larry? When do you need it?

David

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

Well I would need it by August. I rebuilt my motor with rhs iron heads, midrange comp cam ex 262. I get pre ignition knock from a stop at 10 degrees advance. Took it into a shop to have it tuned they set the timing to 5 degrees. Holy heck my car was running hot all the time. I set it back to 10 degrees. Supposedly there is a guy in Tacoma Reincarnation that does this. just wanting to see if any one else does this?

Larry

·
Registered
326 Posts
Pinging at ten leads me to think you have problems. is the advance on a ported or non ported vacuum port? cheap fuel ? stuck mec advance? lean air fuel mixture? needs plugs and wires ect? it should not be pinging with the timing set at 10.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bartlett,

Only pings from a dead stop when I get on it. Other than that it runs great when smoothly accelerating. I run premium fuel. I am thinking I might have to do some work on the mechanical advance. That is why I am asking about the re curve. Not sure which one is ported or non ported on a carter afb 625. Will have to look that one up. New plugs and wires and engine was tuned on a dyno with probe up tailpipe.

Larry

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
So, if dynoed, I expect the total advance is set well. I would disconnect the vacuum advance and see if it stops pinging. If so, it's probably ported vacuum that sucks a bit too quick in transition, coupled with a quick mechanical advance. Try the other nipple (probably manifold vac) which will drop the vac advance when you punch it. I'll bet the pinging is very short duration and goes away within 1000 RPM. If it's better but not gone, I'll tell you what you can do for a fix. If not, tell us what happened.

David

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Good resource, and not a bad price, either. Thanks, Paul.

David

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will give that a try and will let you know

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Will give that a try and will let you know
Scott has recurved 2 durasparks for me.
The curves were exactly to my spec when installed.

His shop can be hard to see from Goldengiven road, he is in the same building as Pacific Engines.

Are you the member that owns a 1963 Country Sedan?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scott has recurved 2 durasparks for me.
The curves were exactly to my spec when installed.

His shop can be hard to see from Goldengiven road, he is in the same building as Pacific Engines.

Are you the member that owns a 1963 Country Sedan?
Yup, that's me. I talked with you a while back at the Costco filling station in Puyallup.

I am going to try one more thing with my dizzy. If that does not fix it; then I am going to go visit him.

Larry

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about honest performence in federal way? I took my dizzy there out of my 65 fairlane and they fixed it.
Didn't even think about them. They are good people there. I know one of the owners sons. Do they have a sun distributor machine?

Larry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts