Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering upgrading from my cast iron pump on my street/ mainly strip 357w car to an electric water pump, I need the inlet on the passenger side, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for electric pumps as most are ported on both sides.

My question is - what the the requirements for an electric water pump on the street. I only drive the car in the dry weather which usually means it's around 70F+ outside temperature, the motor has 10.5:1 with aluminum heads and a big griffin rad still sitting in traffic the temp can rise to around 180-200F

Will a 35GPH pump suffice?
other then more amp draw will a 55GPH pump have negative effects without water restrictors?

I'm considering this Meziere pump

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MEZ%2DWP311U&N=400027+4294908331+115&autoview=sku

because it comes with the inlet fitting and the adapter plate isn't required. and it has a shalower depth then the 100 series -

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MEZ%2DWP111U&N=400027+4294908331+115&autoview=sku

I'm a fan of going overkill but please give me your experienced opinions on this matter.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I run an Aeromotive 37 GPM electric waterpump on my 351 Cleveland and it is basically 100% street driven. I had a stock cast iron pump on it and if I'd run it through the gears pretty hard, I'm guessing the pump would start to cavitate over 5000 rpms and the temps would shoot way into the 220-230 range. Idling and normal driving put it in the 200 degree range with a 190 degree thermostat. I then switched to an
Edelbrock Victor series pump and went down to a 180 degree stat. It would still get up in the 210-220 range with some high rpm use but ran about 190-195 when idling or slow driving in town. This spring I switched to the Aeromotive pump and the temps never fluctuate. They would stay at about 150-160 degrees but would slowly creep up to 180 and then not budge, but it would take 30 minutes or more to reach that temp. I'm guessing that was due to the 180 degree stat. So I put in a 160 degree stat and now it runs about 155-160 at all times. It was mid 90's here the other day and it idled for about 15 minutes and it got up to 170 degrees but cooled off as soon as I started to drive. I run a 4 row copper Northern radiator and a Taurus/Sable electric fan set on low.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I run a CVR 37 gal. pump. Works fine on the street. You will need to use a restrictor, i just gutted an old thermostat. Works like a champ.
Runs right @ 190. Will creep to 210 when i am at the strip. But my electric fan brings it down to 190 by the time i hit the timming shed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts