Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok road test my 65 Mustang w/ 4 wheel disc brakes. I opened the prop. valve about 1/2 half. It drove ok but I don't know how to tell if the rears are clapping down enough. Anyone run one these? If so what method to determine how much the prop. valve should be increased or decrease?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Have one with rear drums. Will be rear discs in a couple weeks with the new rear. What I did with the drums is what I'll do with the discs. Drive down the street with a friend watching while you lock up the brakes. Adjust the prop. valve untill the rears lock up first. Then back off the adjustment untill the fronts lock up first. It'll take a couple trys and you'll have some nice black marks in the street. Neighbors might like a heads up as to what you're doing as well. Happy Easter!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I put my car in the air (all 4 wheels) and had someone step on the brake. I adjusted the valve until the front was locked and a could barely turn the backs with a lot of force.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Do as 289nate suggests. Don't drive the car in any serious way until you get the front locking first.

I had a very scary experience when I first added disc brakes, and had not adjusted the proportioning valve yet. I was going a bit fast, and had to tag the brakes fairly hard, the back end came around real quick.

Once adjusted they work great.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffstar on 4/17/06 12:11pm ]</font>

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have made a few test runs. Each time I have increased the presure on the prop. valve. I have not made a emergency stop to actually try and lock them up but have pushed fairly hard. The car tracks nice and straight, it has not locked the front or back up yet. Is that ok? I think I've got all the little leaks fixed. Should there be a wear in period before I really slam the brakes on hard?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Some say the brakes should go through a few heat cycles from driving before trying to push the pedal through the floor. Keeps the disc from warping I guess. I didn't do it and am OK. Maybe just lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts