Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Many on this board may not understand your question, considering it's populated by die-hard, redlining, never too big gearheads
But generally, the idea is that a "big" cam -or rather, one with lots of duration - steals some of the power from the lower rpm range and makes your engine produce its power in the upper rpm range. Generally, for a street car, you want a lot of torque and throttle responsiveness in the lower rpm range where street driving is done. Also, a big cam will generally have rougher (but cool sounding) idle, which is no fun at stoplights, drive-thru restaurants, etc. There are always trade-offs in deciding what combination of parts should go into your engine and rest of your drivetrain. Every part has to work together as a package, and bigger is not always better. Good luck!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so basically if i run a big cam on the street i will get the shi* kicked out of me by ricers,and my car will be really slow during street and highway speed

also whats wrong with having a rough idle at stop lights and drive threws

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: growlin351w on 4/12/02 6:59am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Slow is a relative term! A big cam means your engines HP & torque probably won't peak until higher RPMs. That's fine if what you're looking for is great times at the strip. For a street car, you want numbers that peak at lower RPMs, which is where most of your stoplight to stoplight driving will be done. A big cam with a lumpy idle sure sounds pretty mean, but when you're sitting in traffic for a while and the whole car is shaking, you start to question your sanity! A big cam may also not allow the engine to produce enough vacuum to properly operate power brakes, etc. It's nice to win the race, but also nice to be able to stop when its over!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so if i get the right stall speed converter, and use percision driving it should perform good on the street without getting out run by ricers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Basically, if you can tolerate an engine that idles very rough, doesn't start making good power until it's up over 3000 or maybe even 4000 RPM, if you can live with manual brakes, and don't need vacuum for other accesories, if you don't mind a vehicle that eats a lot of fuel, and takes a lot of throttle to get moving. Also, you have to like high stall converters and high ratio rear end gear ratios, and be able to tolerate a loud exhaust system. But, if you can tolerate all those things in your street car, there's no reason you can't run a big cam on the street. Everybody's idea of big is a little different though and so is everyone's idea of what rough idle or high fuel consumption is, so you'll just have to decide on your own how much cam you can tolerate.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Morgan ...

I think the only thing you forgot was the may never pass a "Smog Test" part ... Which many of you don't have to deal with ...

But some of us have that little dilema as well.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 4/12/02 7:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
On 2002-04-11 19:34, Mach1Morgan wrote:
Basically, if you can tolerate an engine that idles very rough, doesn't start making good power until it's up over 3000 or maybe even 4000 RPM, if you can live with manual brakes, and don't need vacuum for other accesories, if you don't mind a vehicle that eats a lot of fuel, and takes a lot of throttle to get moving. Also, you have to like high stall converters and high ratio rear end gear ratios, and be able to tolerate a loud exhaust system. But, if you can tolerate all those things in your street car, there's no reason you can't run a big cam on the street. Everybody's idea of big is a little different though and so is everyone's idea of what rough idle or high fuel consumption is, so you'll just have to decide on your own how much cam you can tolerate.
Sounds like you're talking about my car.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I bet Greg could put two of those tiny ricer pistons side by side in one of his 557 bores!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey, Dont even worry about the ricers man! If your putting this into a 351W no one will have a chance, Im running a "big" cam in my fastback. And its insane. The 3000 stall converter really gets it going to!!! So dont even worry about ricers, they are trying to make like 250 hp and no torque, while your hp and torque are way up there!!
They will never have a chance if you match it all up. Just make sure youve got the gears, converter, traction, etc and everything matched together!!! That way you will get the most enjoyment out of it. I know a lot of people you have tried to put a cam with a powerband of 3000-6000 behind a stock converter, and 3.00 gears. Then theyt wonder why the dont have any performance!! Just match it up and have a blast!!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
On 2002-04-11 21:39, Greg Cook wrote:
I keep one in the trunk in case I run out of gas or get a flat tire...
I don't think that you could get one of the "BIG" tires in a honda.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i guess i can take the ricers but i dont know about the 454s with blowers they intimidate me, i guess ill have to wait until i can build a stroker to take those guys

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
you're worried about a blown 454? give him a run for his money, then look out for scattered bowtie engine parts on the street!

·
Registered
154 Posts
On 2002-04-12 21:57, mavman wrote:
you're worried about a blown 454? give him a run for his money, then look out for scattered bowtie engine parts on the street!
Thats the truth!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
What are the spec's you have in mind for this big cam?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use my 70 Mustang as my business car, driving from job to job for over 2 years now. 347 stroker, big cam, single plane intake, 3" pipes...yeah it's annoying sometimes when you're in traffic, but I have yet to be late for a job!

·
Registered
669 Posts
i have a big-ish cam in my 347(comp cams 294s)4.1 diff,5speed,it has quad webers and the idle is a lot more tame than having a four barrel,and the idle and lack of power bellow 3500rpm does **** me sometimes but thats the sacrifice i made to have fun on the track

1 - 18 of 18 Posts