Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oil? Seems like every old car I worked on had caked up oil and dirt on the engine and everything else.
My 2 year old rebuilt 352 doesn't leak oil,
Just seems to sweat it out. I first noticed within a few months of getting it running a light oil coating around the fuel pump, now as I look at the motor is has an over all coat of oil and the dust attracted to it. I would expect a little around the original vented fill cap but I added PCV system so I wouldn't expect too much.
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Yeah and why do they always smell like gas fumes. I thought the PCV was supposed to take care of that. Jeez

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Could it be that you are woring on 40-50 year old cars. The gaskets don't hold up that long, at least the ones from the 60s. Also, it seems common for the oil pan bolts to loosen, or the gasket shrinks, something that causes a space for oil to escape. The distributor gasket contributes, on and on.

What is amazing is that they keep on running with all that crud stuck to them.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Well why do they die at intersections? I hate that!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The gas smell is gas. The carburetor vents into the air. The gas tank vents to the air. There are no charcoal filters on these cars.

The PCV only works at an idle or when the vacumn is at a higher level. Oil leaks were common on older cars. Modern oils have smaller monocles so they leak more. Synthetics are even more leak prone. As long as there is not too much blowby, older engines can be sealed up but it takes some effort.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Ann let me add that the Ford power steering leaks everywhere and when blown by the fan deposits itself on every surface and in every crevice. Thickly and nastily. Yuch

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Fords don't leak, they just mark their territory!!
Amen!!

I ran out of gas on the autobahn in germany on my way to the american gas station. By the time i walked across a field to a little bar to call a friend and got back to where i thought i left the car it was gone. The only way i knew for sure where i left it was the oil spot! Just like Bl;ue's Clues "A clue, a clue!" Friends picked me up and we found the car had been towed to the gas station i was going to. So see, those drips can come in handy. lol

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the power steering takes care of the rust protection, I carry 2 quarts of tranny oil to top off the power steering pump. The engine just sweats enough oil to maintain an oily dust coating.
Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts