Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does everything I like cost so much money?

Here is my other hobby. I play bass and do some recording when I have the time. When I get the bugs out of the system I’ll post a tune with my wife Donna singing on tune and maybe even one with me singing a tune.

Anyway got any hobbies other than Ford’s?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 393Clevor on 7/8/02 12:26am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 393clevor on 7/9/02 10:24am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Oh man... I went down the musical trail. Took lessons for 14 years, took classical guitar. Went through all the motions, owned some cool axes, '57 'strat, '57 Les Paul. When I got robbed & Carpel Tunnel, that was enough. My boss has a pre-was Martin & let my jack with it & now... here we go again! As if car collection(down to 12) & real estate isn't enough!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a couple but my favorite is racing dirt-bikes mostly hare-scrambles with a little moto-cross just for good measure and its really expensive even the safty equipment costs my knee braces for example are over $400.00 each i have to wear them (Old Knees) 38 years of rideing has torn them up. I wont even go into the bikes but i have one i practice on that i have over $5000.00 in it and the race bike well lets just say a lot more but its worth every dime. Why you ask Because i like to race in any form Theres my $2.00 worth Brent

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering that’s all.

If I where to put all my eggs in one basket I might be better off. I could have one hell of a studio or one hell of a car. As it is now I have a little of both. Just kicking some dirt here that’s all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 393Clevor on 7/8/02 2:55am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
My take is after all the time & money, studio time playing with a few famous people(I'm not telling & no one remembers) I have nothing to show for it except a few pics I've not even shown my wife. At least the cars are tangible. I found most of my musician friends to be less than desireable & broke... and they were better than me! Maybe we should just chunk in all & follow Jesus.......

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
hobbies...

Well I used to chase women, but now I'm gettin married so I cant do that no more. I guess my only hobby away from the car world is outdoors stuff. I love backpacking, and fishing, stuff like that. Even done a lil outdoors survival, when ya go out for a week with nothing more than your knife and your wits. Really start to like the taste of crickets by the 3rd day....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well besides my car, I used to be in to music alot also. I started playing bass, then guitar then drums. Now I just do a little recording on my computer when I have the time. I am a Digital Audio Technician for the company I work for, so I've learned alot there to help me with my home recording hobby. Haven't had much time to do it lately though with the baby and all. Used to skateboard alot, but now I have no time for that at all.
Also I enjoy lifting weights. You wouldn't know cause I'm skinny as hell, but It's a great feeling so I love doing it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Got a friend just getting into Audio stuff, he's got a bunch of money tucked away that he's spending on all of it, seems to be going ok for him. Fortunately, I have no life savings to blow on my truck, or believe me, I would

·
Registered
140 Posts
Now THIS is up my alley,as my screen name suggests,I am also a professional DJ so I feel your pain,I have around 30,000 in gear for most any type event so my "hobbies" kinda pay for themselves......LOL If you want your hobby to pay some,try maybe renting some time for local artists that need a place to record,and is that a Mackie main board? My brother plays in a band here in jax and I work the boards for him sometimes.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No it’s a Yamaha MX400. I just sold my Mackie 24-4 on e-bay along with some other gear.
I ran a sound company for 4 years East Coast Sound Reinforcement. I had enough of that I can tell you that. I worked my system 3 to 5 nights and days a week sometimes tree shows a day. I had over 75,000 invested and over the 4 years I made some good coin.

The thing I hated the most was after a show, packing up, and people from the audience would rant and rave to the bands about how good they sounded and never said a word to me. Who do you think made these guy’s sound so good?

So now I’m back to making sound instead of fixing it all the time. Having some fun I guess.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yeah, everyone seems to have multiple expensive hobbies. My first hobby (it takes precidence over the car!) is pinball.

Here's an old photo of my living room:

I rotate games in and out all the time as I grow bored. Right now I have 6 at home, plus 3 more at work. It's a sickness.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NasalGoat on 7/8/02 11:45pm ]</font>

·
Registered
166 Posts
computers, and audio, as i have no money, i'm pretty ghetto with those as well.

hey Coolfalcon, whats your callsign? my mother used to be into ham, but hasent much recently, her's is KC8GMT, sence were both in mi, maybe you met??

·
Registered
430 Posts
On 2002-07-08 22:26, 393Clevor wrote:
what does one of those cost? I'd like to have a few of them
It depends on a lot of factors - the older a pinball machine you want, the less it costs. Like, if you want a late 70's to mid 80's pin, it'll run in the $700-$1000 range.

The later model games that I collect and restore are in the $1000-$5000 range. I have more invested in my car than I do in the pinballs, but the resale value of the pinballs are much higher!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts