Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 390 Galaxie 500

Why would my car have a hard time starting in warm weather, but but starts fine in cold weather. In the warm weather, when It starts it seems to die right away and have to retry a couple times. Even if I am driving it for an hour, once I turn it off and go to start it again, it struggles and blows out black smoke when starting up.

Once it gets running, it runs flawlessly.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I'm thinking that it's flooding, therefore starts easier when cold, and not warm.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep, carb needs adjusting/tuning like FE and other said. Not a big deal, might want to check plugs etc if it's been running rich and change them out, basically do a tune up for warm weather.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
If you can hold the pedal to the floor and it starts up pretty quickly it's probably flooding unless your choke is staying closed most of the way all the time but then it wouldn't start cold either. I could hear the gas dripping in my carb after shutting the car off but that was desert heat so had to change to a plastic spacer. Still same outcome, flooding causing hard start when hot/warm. What about timing, have you done anything with that? Will do the same thing also.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
The Black smoke is from multiple shots of FUEL in the engine and exhaust from the failed cranking, and not necessarily from the choke being closed.

In the cold, you need the rich mixture to pop off until the engine warms up and is able to ignite the leaner mixture.

When you say "Now that it's warmer" what temp change are you talking about? What is the range of temps, and doe is do this in the end of the day when the car is cold again or only in the mornings?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Black smoke is from multiple shots of FUEL in the engine and exhaust from the failed cranking, and not necessarily from the choke being closed.

In the cold, you need the rich mixture to pop off until the engine warms up and is able to ignite the leaner mixture.

When you say "Now that it's warmer" what temp change are you talking about? What is the range of temps, and doe is do this in the end of the day when the car is cold again or only in the mornings?
It starts right up in 30-40 degree weather. Now that it is 60+ degrees, it struggles.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Colder air needs to be richer to start. What carb do you have?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Galaxz.... Maybe becasue I think on a different slide scale than you. 60* is still cold, engines like 180-210 degrees....

If it's fine in the cold, Works Great when the choke is fully closed, but don't work fine when the temp is 30 degrees higher, It could very well be that the choke isn't closing far enough anymore.
Rich mixtures are required until the engine temp is in the 150* F area. 60 is a far shot from 150.

And besides, nobody has proven me wrong so far, maybe I'm right.... But Maybe not, I'll give you that, but somebody has to admit my logic is secure????

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
I don't even have my choke isn't hooked up hasn't been for years at least not correctly. The old carb it was always wide open, can't remember but think this one is also. Starts great cold, 80-90 out, not so much. But seems odd that 30* outside temps bother it unless it's after it's been driven around a while, shut off then restarted before it gets cold.
Is that what you are meaning to say, warmer outside temps and after driving a while then restarting?

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you think it is the choke then try these two options. When warm before trying to start, open hood, take off air cleaner top, hold the choke all the way open and have someone start the car. Should start right up if choke issue. Another idea, get a choke cable (cheap one at auto zone) and connect it up to your choke. Same scenario, start up when warm with choke all the way open. If it won't start right away, close the choke little bit at a time until it starts. I am assuming you have checked the spark, fuel delivery and such already. If that works you will need to adjust the choke. Good luck and let us know what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts