Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I thought some of you all might have a I dea to help getting my Cougar fine tuned. The problem I'm having is this: When I give the engine any kind of quick rev it revs beautifully untill I let off. Then it bogs for a second before returning to normal idle. I have an edelbrock preformer 600cfm carb, I'm not sure of my jet sizes but maybe that's not too important. It's been doing this since I took over the car and rebuilt teh engine 3 years ago. Any ideas? Need more info?

·
Registered
508 Posts
What kind of motor. My cougar did that too with my 289 motor, especially with the original carb, except mine wouldn't rev for a second, then would rev fine. Found the accelerator pump was bad, and timing was off. Replaced the carb with the same carb as you (600 cfm edelbrock) and changed the timing, revved great. Gotta re-tune it now, though, just changed from auto to manual, gotta re-time and probable jet too. Hope that helped

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Do you have a strip kit for it? If not, get one and start fiddleing with the rods and springs. It really is easy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep it's a 68 cougar w/ a 302. I wonder if it might be my rods and springs... I'm guessing if I turned it off right at the bog my plugs would read lean, that's neither here nor there... I've been tuning mostly with a vacuum gauge, is there a better way?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I welded a bung in my exhaust and put on a O2 sensor for a air/fuel meter. With that in the car and the vacuum guage taped to the windsheild, tuning was a breez. Espesally if your not experienced at doing it. Its nice to know what the carb is doing, instead of guessing.

I used pt#NRD-M7009 from summit. Best $30 I spent in a while. I got a 1 wire O2 sensor from the parts store, and that was about $15. They have 3 and 4 wire sensors that are more accurate, but they cost more$$$.

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 3/10/02 6:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I wonder if your secondaries are sticking open for a second after you let off.This type of carb has two sets of butterflies on the secondary side so I would check them both out to make sure they are operating freely.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmmmm, the secondaries.... the plot thickens some how I overlooked that possibility... I'll check it out. Worth noting is that it doesn't do it undr load.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts