Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1989 Saleen mustang, Headers, Mac off road H Pipe, Mac catback exhaust. MSD coil, MSD Superconductor wires, E303 cam, its a factory t-5 car, good clutch, stock 3.23 gears, Mac cold air intake w/ mass air, Hurst Short throw shifter, Tokico Blues on all four corners, weld in subframe braces, lower K member brace, Rear strut tower brace, stock 16" wheels w/ Toyo T1R's and i cannot get the thing any faster than a 15.5 at the drag strip. I've just recently purchased the car, and haven't done anything but a basic tuneup. The car runs fine with a slight lope from the cam, and is kind of a pain in the ass to start while cold ( acts like a carbed car, have to keep a foot on the gas for 5-10 seconds ) What would cause this thing to be so slow?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Traction can be a problem. Getting used to how the car acts might take a while too....

but seriously, doesn't a stock Mustang run low 14's/high 13's in the 1/4? I would think that a Saleen would do a LOT better than 15.5 especially considering what has been done to it. The 3.23 gears ain't helping either. I like 3.73's as a good all-around gear for both street and strip...especially with a 5 speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the T1R's i can't hook that well in 1st but 2nd hooks and the car takes off, but with what little it spins off the line, i don't think that traction would help but maybe another .2-.3 seconds, so i'd still be above a 15
i've had the car since january and have become fairly used to the characteristics of the car, and though i'm no pro, the 15.5 is hitting all shifts smooth and getting a nice low spin launch ( normally around a 15.7 with a bad launch )

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
You shoudn't need to put your foot on the gas to start. Fuel Pressure Problems?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my best run...

r/t - .281
60' - 2.397
330 - 6.508
1/8 - 9.995
mph - 68.90
1000 - 13.028
1/4 - 15.556
mph - 89.31

When its cold the car will start on its own, but won't hardly idle, kind of like a carb'd car if ya kick the choke off too soon, so ya have to sit there and keep it about 1500 rpm for 5-10 seconds, but On really hot days (100+) it seems to start and idle fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 89Saleen on 8/1/06 1:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
what gear are you in when you cross the line? you should be in 4th and at the top of your power band, which is only about 5500 with your engine. most mods i see are exhaust and cam. you need to seriously look into heads and intake mods for it. but that wont resolve your issue. sorry but your r/t is high. install aline lok kit and itll help your r/tt if you're prepared.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when i cross the line i'm in third gear, i can't remember what RPM though. i read the article "13's the easy way" on here and it was saying that with a t5 my car should be in the 14's stock, and thats whats got me wondering whats goin on? I would like to get the trick flow top end kit and go from there, but i'd like to squeeze what power i could from what i've got now

·
Registered
55 Posts
drop to 3.73 if a hard daily driver, although youll find 4.10's ultimately nice all around. whats your tire height? #1 rule...as i said before, you want to cross the line at the top of your power band in (with a t5) fourth gear-your 1.00 ratio. i run 4.56 with a 25" tire...suffers as a daily driver, but is leaving future room to run a larger tire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in the rear i have a 245/45/16 w/ the stock rims, i'm not sure of the height but they should be close if not spot on to the factory rim size. Is there anyone else thats got stock et's for ya 5spd gt? because i don't think that the few power mods saleen did would cause the ET for it to drop much at all.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
This is more than a suspension or gear problem you need to look into engine tune, fuel pressure (fuel Pump), timing, Plugs, Bad Sensors, Ect.

·
Registered
55 Posts
you should be turning roughly 120 mph in fourth gear at 5000 rpms. The tire height is from the ground up to the top of the tire. It does sound like there are some other issues. gears would be a large benefit, suspension would be a help, but in stock form you should do better than 15. whats your timing set at? should be a little more advanced than stock

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be honest i've yet to check the timing on the car. I've done a tuneup on it, just Bosch platinum plugs, msd wires, ford cap and rotor. I was also told that if it doesn't have the A9L computer its supposed to that it could be a large loss of power, is that true?

/edit so with the E cam what should i set my total timing at?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 89Saleen on 8/2/06 11:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Ditch the Platinum Plugs, they are junk for your application. Run Autolites or Motorcrafts. (I know I'll hear about this one !!! LOL)

Yes, you need to have proper voltage for any ignition to work properly and it espescialy important with the MSD products. They must be wired properly and installed correctly. You DO NOT have to have the MSD ignition for you car to work properly.

You need to have your car scanned to make sure all of you sensors are functioning properly. TPS, Oxygen, Etc. Check all connectors and Grounds to make sure they are clean, connected tight and grounded properly.

That only thing you can change on you timing with out reprograming is the initial timing 10-14 degrees seems to work well.

You also need to check and make sure you have the proper fuel pressure and that you pump is working properly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 8/2/06 9:21pm ]</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i took it to the local autoparts store and had the stored codes pulled. I believe it was a code 41, and 91, and one for the VSS sensor, which i doubt would affect performance. However the 41/91 indicate a lean run condition caused by the EGR or O2 sensors. and come to find out one of my EGR tube was scorched on my p/s header. I called the same autoparts store and they said they couldn't get it so i taped it up for the mean time ( hokey i know but better than detonation if it works ) Could this possibly cause the loss of power i've been looking for? I also adjusted the timing ( was about 6 degrees advanced, i bumped it up to about 12 ) The car seems more responsive now, and felt more powerful. but my friends and i have a place where its about a 1/4 mile we race to, and it still seems to be turning about the same speed there, do i have to reset the computer to clear this lean run condition?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I would get everything fixed right before you go advancing the timing. Have the fuel pressure checked and replace the O2 sensors (they do need to be replaced every so often anyway) after you get the EGR Stuff Worked out and verify their are no other problems. Then bump the timing.

And ditch the platnium plugs and put some regular motorcrafts in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 8/4/06 2:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok...#1 problem is not just fuel issue there...but the vss code also. fix all your codes. make sure you set your timing with the plug out of the pigtail.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Definatley get rid of those Bosch Platinums, They are junk. I`ve seen many misfiring problems from them. Nothing better than the stock Motorcraft plugs.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Is it you or the car? Let someone you know run it through the 1/4 mile, then compare. I've seen people who can take a 13 second car and turn it into a 15 sec turtle. I hope that is not the case. When I had a 91 Saleen that was a stock 225 hp version with 3:55 gears I would turn consistent low 14s and hig 13s. It is strange but I thought all Saleens came with 3:55s. Good Luck on rectifting your dilema.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i posted the quarter mile slip i had for it, I didn't miss any shifts and got a decent launch, but the proof would be in the times i suppose, however good or bad they may be

1 - 20 of 39 Posts