Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I am in the process of changing 4 BBl manifolds. From a big ol Parker Funnel web to a performer clone. I thought I could get the manifold off with out pulling the Dist. It was unstuck in the front but in the very back I had a hard time breaking it loose. I had 2 problems with the Dist - one it would not turn once I took the hold down bolt out and the clamp off. I got it to start rotating with some blaster and light taps on the dist body but then I could not get it to pull out - comes up -rotor moves then hits a hard stop. I did get the manifold out of the way by moving it back and then up and over the dist. I have the dist marked where it lines up with the vac advance can and marked on the block - so I can put it back as it came out - if I can get it out. BUT the dist just does not want to come all the way out . I hear a clunk when it stops and it goes back on the cam gear ok. Any Idea why it clunks and stops?? It is a carbed 302- I think - probably a 1969-70 maybe and PO said he though it might have come out of a mustang or a boat ( if that matters). It ran OK before I pulled the manifold - I just wanted to tame it down a bit. ??????????????????????????????????? Is there any thing like a oil pump drive shaft or a fuel pump shaft that would cause this to happen???????

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
There is a clip or push nut on the oil pump shaft that prevents it from falling into the oil pan when the dist is removed. If the oil pump shaft is jammed into the bottom of the dist, you may be coming up against this clip when you lift the dist. If this is the case, you may find that if you pull on the dist hard enough the clip will slip off or break off and the dist will come out with the shaft or worse yet the shaft falls off and into the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a clip or push nut on the oil pump shaft that prevents it from falling into the oil pan when the dist is removed. If the oil pump shaft is jammed into the bottom of the dist, you may be coming up against this clip when you lift the dist. If this is the case, you may find that if you pull on the dist hard enough the clip will slip off or break off and the dist will come out with the shaft or worse yet the shaft falls off and into the bottom of the pan.
OH Great. I never pulled hard to get it out so it sounds like the oil pump shaft is still on it. Am I looking at "I'll be ok if I leave it as is- dist in and rotor turning" or is it more likely the pump shaft has been pulled and even with the dist turning I might not be getting oil pressure?????? Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OH Great. I never pulled hard to get it out so it sounds like the oil pump shaft is still on it. Am I looking at "I'll be ok if I leave it as is- dist in and rotor turning" or is it more likely the pump shaft has been pulled and even with the dist turning I might not be getting oil pressure?????? Thanks.
Well I'm not sure if I was lucky or just lucky. I got it together enough to crank it over and see if the aftermarket oil pressure tube would push oil and it took a bit of cranking but it did start pushing oil through the tube so I 'm thinking it is pumping oil. Is this oil pump shaft stuck on the end of the Dist a fairly regular thing? I have another 1965 Falcon with the stock standard 289 in it and I was thinking of putting a performer style cam and 4bb performer style manifold on/ in it. From what I can find out the 302 and the 289 are basically the same with the exception of a little bigger bore and a different stroke - so the Dist. is essentially the same between them??

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've see it happen with engines that have not been taken apart in many years. 302 and 289 are the same block. Only diff being the crank has 1/16 more throw, 302 rods are 1/16 shorter to offset the longer throw of a 302 crank and 289 pistons are used. Sounds like the shaft is still on the pump. There could be another cause besides the stuck oil pump shaft, but that was one that came to mind. You could also try turning the engine over a bit and then trying to pull the dist out again. Turn it over a bit more and try again. Maybe there is a groove worn in dist gear and trying it in different positions might break it loose.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've see it happen with engines that have not been taken apart in many years. 302 and 289 are the same block. Only diff being the crank has 1/16 more throw, 302 rods are 1/16 shorter to offset the longer throw of a 302 crank and 289 pistons are used. Sounds like the shaft is still on the pump. There could be another cause besides the stuck oil pump shaft, but that was one that came to mind. You could also try turning the engine over a bit and then trying to pull the dist out again. Turn it over a bit more and try again. Maybe there is a groove worn in dist gear and trying it in different positions might break it loose.
For now I'll let it be in the 65 wagon I'm working on now since I basically want to get it running so I can sell it. But here is a question I also have a 65 4door sedan - stock 289 PO said the engine had been rebuilt @ some time. Been sitting except starting every once in a while to move it out of the way. It has a broken water pump and I figured I'd do the cam/4bbl manifold when I got around to fixing the pump. Sounds like I'd be wise to go ahead and fix the pump then drive it around for awhile to lube it up, free it up so there would be a better chance it won't have a stuck Dist ?? Think that would help??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts