Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dist. won't go down all the way as the cap hits the intake on my 351w. Which distributors are you guys using with the stealth?

I've been this way since 1956

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RPM on 1/20/02 2:18pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Maybe your intake is different height wise than my 302 stealth intake. I didn't even pull the distrib. when I changed to the stealth. Call the manu. and explain your promlem. See if this has happened before. You won't be the first one to shave an intake for clerance. If they tell you yes, thake the die grinder to that bad boy. CAREFULLY.

·
Registered
31 Posts
have the same problem-using a blue thunder intake with a dui system-cap to big-used a torker-against everyones advice-just because i had it-mine seems to have to much to grind off cap and manifold anyway car wont be ready until spring-if i dont like the way it works i will switch ignition i guess we have to be careful with these high raise man.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 331 (302 based), and had the same problem.. ended up being the intake just moved up a hair... if u think that's the problem, than put the dist in first (well, at least before tightening everything up)

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I used a big cap duraspark on a 351w and a Stealth with no problem.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
The reason is the distributor body. The distributor body was changed to a taller one in 1970, and will clear the manifold. Early ones hit. You can simply buy a used 70+ distributor (even Duraspark electronic types - but not TFI), and swap the guts to keep your timing curve original, or go aftermarket and re-curve it to run right. Or change the manifold.

David

Edit: Here's a pic I posted on another subject, but shows an early dizzy on the left and a cut 70+ dizzy in the center. Note the 'neck' length difference:

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
The reason is the distributor body. The distributor body was changed to a taller one in 1970, and will clear the manifold. Early ones hit. You can simply buy a used 70+ distributor (even Duraspark electronic types - but not TFI), and swap the guts to keep your timing curve original, or go aftermarket and re-curve it to run right. Or change the manifold.

David
Interesting, I never knew there was a difference. So I guess that means the 69' 351w distributor was one-of-a-kind since that was the first year of production?

I also used a 70' points distributor and it has the same height as my Duraspark.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
That's correct. I grabbed '69 and '70+ distributors in the shop and snapped the pic below. It's more obvious the height difference of the upper body. The short one on the left is (of course) the '69. The one on the right is actually an 1983 Duraspark version but the body still has the original D0 casting number from 1970 and an '83 casting date as well.

David

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yikes, can't believe it's been over 7 years since I began putting that motor together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts