Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is under the rear body mount, behink rear wheels, upper trunk area on a 67. I noticed it when doing shocks and springs. The metal looks thick in the frame holes to the left but thin where the tear is. Must have been the extra weight from water in the leaky trunk haha.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
click the 'saving a 65' link in my sig to see the ugly pics of ours...had more holes and cracks than you could count. the cracks on ours all propagated from a rusty spot, once cracks start, they slowly creep along till it runs into a hole or the thing cracks off.

if it didnt start from a rusty spot under the rubber mount, it might be just the thing got bumped in the rear over the years, a lot of bumper jacking, etc...who knows- the biggest issue from 65-around 72 that ive seen though was simply they collected road grime/dirt/salt and stayed damp inside till rot set in.

that dont look too bad, looks repairable in place- still suggest taking a hammer and thumping along the bottom from the curve in front of the reat wheels to the front inner section...usually rear arches go first, but on our 65 the front torque boxes/siderails were the worst for some reason. If I had to do it again, I would buy a arizona frame instead of building new sections- its a chore, but really not as bad as it sounds to swap one out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sadly, mine is not repairable. In Alberta you are not allowed to weld frames, unless there was originally a factory weld there. It's a stupid law, but I have to abide by it. So I have a new frame, and am going to be starting the swap as soon as the shop by my house can bring them in. They've agreed to do it for free as long as I help them out. But they are waiting to find out if their building is being sold, if that happens they are going to be closed.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
On your 68 Frame it is an EASY repair and NOBODY will be able to tell if it was welded or not.

Just Lift the body and weld your tear,, grind it, primer it, then weld a BRACKET over the TOP (to each side) of the repair and you will be fine. Just simply make the bracket look like it belongs there and there is not one shop in the entire Country of Canadia that can tell you you're illegal for any reason.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
The Reason it cracks is due to the entire configuration of that rear end setup and the frame not being properly equipped to handle it.

Do the above repair and NOBODY will be able to tell you it's not OEM, unless they did it to their car. How many folks at the inspection station even sen one of these cars before???

·
Registered
372 Posts
i'm with FE on this one- are they really going to check your frame from non-OEM welds?
Well, that's not the only spot like that on my frame. Plus I've already got a good frame that will be put in, in less than 2 months. Also, I didn't have the money to have a shop repair the frame. It was gunna cost me over $1500 to get it completely repaired, but I was able to get my parts car with a good frame for only $300 and the shop by my place is going to help me do the swap for free as long as I help them out around the shop cleaning, and doing small detail work.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Well, that's not the only spot like that on my frame. Plus I've already got a good frame that will be put in, in less than 2 months. Also, I didn't have the money to have a shop repair the frame. It was gunna cost me over $1500 to get it completely repaired, but I was able to get my parts car with a good frame for only $300 and the shop by my place is going to help me do the swap for free as long as I help them out around the shop cleaning, and doing small detail work.
Then why are we even disusing this? If it's already settled and you have another... Oh yeah, the explanation for it...

The Likeliest reason it cracked if from Flex Fatigue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then why are we even disusing this? If it's already settled and you have another... Oh yeah, the explanation for it...

The Likeliest reason it cracked if from Flex Fatigue.
Yes im the original poster and I dont have another frame to put in. I guess flex fatigue would do it. Alot of flex over 45 years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
click the 'saving a 65' link in my sig to see the ugly pics of ours...had more holes and cracks than you could count. the cracks on ours all propagated from a rusty spot, once cracks start, they slowly creep along till it runs into a hole or the thing cracks off.

if it didnt start from a rusty spot under the rubber mount, it might be just the thing got bumped in the rear over the years, a lot of bumper jacking, etc...who knows- the biggest issue from 65-around 72 that ive seen though was simply they collected road grime/dirt/salt and stayed damp inside till rot set in.

that dont look too bad, looks repairable in place- still suggest taking a hammer and thumping along the bottom from the curve in front of the reat wheels to the front inner section...usually rear arches go first, but on our 65 the front torque boxes/siderails were the worst for some reason. If I had to do it again, I would buy a arizona frame instead of building new sections- its a chore, but really not as bad as it sounds to swap one out.
Good info thanks. I have read alot about bumper jacking and the trouble it caused. And as far as hitting my frame all over to see what I find, I am afraid of what I might find!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most galaxies have this problem. You seem to have got off lucky on this one though, it can most likely be fixed. The same spot on my 68 however...well, you'll see.
This pic looks exactaly like a pic I took of the frame below my passenger door!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sadly, mine is not repairable. In Alberta you are not allowed to weld frames, unless there was originally a factory weld there. It's a stupid law, but I have to abide by it. So I have a new frame, and am going to be starting the swap as soon as the shop by my house can bring them in. They've agreed to do it for free as long as I help them out. But they are waiting to find out if their building is being sold, if that happens they are going to be closed.
for me to do a frame swap, being just a "shade tree mechanic" seems so involved. I wish I had mechanic friends to help me out. Oh, thats all you guys!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts